Help for POETRYETC Archives

POETRYETC Archives

POETRYETC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

POETRYETC Home

POETRYETC  2003

POETRYETC 2003

Re: : Who Counted [apologies: This is long]

Ken Wolman <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:09:06 -0400

Patrick McManus wrote:

> aha

> > Truth is stanger than fiction..... seems there are actually ELEVEN tips -
> > number 5 appears to have been removed from Patrick's version as it
> probably
> > offends delicate sensibilities.
> >
> > Take a look at http://www.snopes.com/language/document/transpor.htm

Just did.  It's astounding...but part of me says I really should not be
astounded.  How far had things progressed in 1943 from 1863 or thereabouts when
New Jersey's own Clara Barton recruited her first nurses to go into the Civil
War hospitals?  Barton apparently didn't want women who were too good-looking
for fear of setting off the men--as though a man recovering from grapeshot
wounds or an amputation and who was doped up on morphine was of a mind to hit
on the nurse.  She wanted women of "spotless reputation" to avoid hiring what
used to be known as "camp followers."  And apparently Barton, founder of the
American Red Cross, ruled her corps of nurses like she was the Mother Superior
in the Magdalene Sisters.

Well, Clara did good for all that.  Flaws and all, she deserved a better reward
than the New Jersey Turnpike Authority naming a rest-stop for her.

Ken
--
Kenneth Wolman
Proposal Development Department