Get Password

VICTORIA Digest - 27 Sep 2003 to 28 Sep 2003 (#2003-61) (fwd)

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:59:58 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 29 September 2003 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 27 Sep 2003 to 28 Sep 2003 (#2003-61)

Topics of the day:

  1. Cornwell on Jack the Ripper (5)
  2. If I were a cassowary
  3. UPDATE: CFP 18th- and 19th Century British Women Writers Conference
  4. swimming (2)
  5. Thanks re: Death and Dying Resouces
  6. Mayhew Thanks
  7. VICTORIA Digest - 26 Sep 2003 to 27 Sep 2003 (#2003-60)
  8. image of the professor
  9. lennox amott, poet

Date:    Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:06:54 +0100
From:    Michel Faber <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Cornwell on Jack the Ripper

Leslie Bailey wrote:

> My English 102 (College Writing II) students are preparing preliminary
> bibliographies for their lengthy term papers, all of which deal with
> Victorian topics (for the good of the curriculum, naturally).  One student
> has selected Jack the Ripper as his area of interest and asked me if
> Patricia Cornwell's recent "Portrait of a Killer (Jack the Ripper, Case
> Closed)" is accepted as an authoritative text.  I have seen no discussion
> on VICTORIA of this publication and am wondering how Ripperites view her
> findings that Walter Sickert, world-class artist, was the Whitechapel
> murderer.

There was a long and occasionally heated discussion of Patricia Cornwell
and her theory on VICTORIA a couple of years ago. It began with Kristan
Tetens asking, on the 7th of December 2001:

> I was just wondering if list members had a reaction to the assertion made
> last night on ABC's Primetime Live by crime novelist Patricia Cornwell
> that Walter Sickert, painter (protege of Whistler) and actor (once
> associated with Henry Irving at the Lyceum) was Jack the Ripper.

and pretty much monopolised VICTORIA's energies until the 7th of January
2002, by which time the discussion had diverged to address Cornwell's
(de)merits as a novelist.

All the posts should be accessible via the VICTORIA archives, although if
you are determined to access each & every one, please note that using
"Cornwell" as your keyword will fail to summon up those posts which
misspelled the author's name "Cornwall".

Best wishes,

Michel Faber