Get Password

VICTORIA Digest - 8 Oct 2003 to 9 Oct 2003 (#2003-72) (fwd)

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:34:19 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 10 October 2003 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 8 Oct 2003 to 9 Oct 2003 (#2003-72)

Topics of the day:

  1. request for information on illegitimate pregnancies (3)
  2. Bleak House/Rouncewell (2)
  3. The Novel Sublime (4)
  4. More info on Rouncewell (2)
  5. Dioramas
  6. Tourists and Literary Sites
  7. reviews by Andrew Lang and Hjalmar Boyeson
  8. Female Detective Novels (3)
  9. Victorian Banks
 10. re. sublime novel
 11. Julia Margaret Cameron events in the U.S.

Date:    Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:46:58 +1000
From:    Ellen Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: request for information on illegitimate pregnancies

Two real life examples of children being absorbed into existing families. =
The children's writer E. Nesbit allowed it to be assumed that her =
husband's illegitimate children by her friend/housekeeper were hers.=20
=20
Victoria Glendinning implies in her life of Trollope that Trollope's =
brother's first wife, whose supposed mother was sixty when she was born, =
was probably the daughter of her supposed half-sister by her mother's =
first marriage.

Compton Mackenzie's Sinister Street has a picture of a household where two =
illegitimate children are being brought up, visited briefly by the mother =
who spends most of her time with her lover. A real-life ambiguous =
household dating from the same time (and the same place -Kensington) is =
described in the autobiography of the popular 1920s novelist Ernest =
Raymond. He grew up in it.
=20
=20
=20