Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: 2004 Internships in Belize

Cristina Beans <[log in to unmask]>

ECS student members <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 02:19:55 -0700

text/plain

Dear all,

Here's an internship opportunity working with manatees
that sounds very challenging and quite interesting! If
you want to know more read below and contact the
people in charge of the programme.

sorry for any cross-posting!

all the best,
Cristina

> Volunteer Internship -- Please see this webpage to
> apply:
> http://www.sirenian.org/LogisticsInternBelize.html
>
> Title:  Logistics and Research Internship
>
> Project:  Behavioral and Habitat Ecology of Manatees
> in Belize, Central America
>
> Primary Funding Agency:  The Earthwatch Institute
>

> Additional support from:  Lerner-Gray Fund for
> Marine Science Research at the American Museum of
Natural History, the NSF Graduate Fellowship Program,
the Conservation Action Fund at the New England
Aquarium, Texas A&M University, University of
Massachusetts - Boston, Spanish Bay Resort - Belize,
Manta Ray Charters - Belize.

> Principle Investigators:  Caryn Self Sullivan, Texas
> A&M University and Katherine S. LaCommare,
University of Massachusetts - Boston

> Location:  Drowned Cayes, Belize, Central America
>
> Research Permits issued by:  Conservation
> Division-Forestry Department, Belize; Fisheries
Department, Belize

(http://www.earthwatch.org/expeditions/lacommare.html)

> 2004 Winter/Spring Internship Term (approx. dates):
> 30 January - 10 April 2004
>
> 2004 Summer Internship Term (approx. dates):  1 June
> - 20 August 2004
>
> Qualifications:  Science oriented upper level
> undergraduate, graduate, or post-doc.  The
successful applicant must speak English, be a strong
swimmer, must be well organized and comfortable with
coordinating
> logistics (with an emphasis on meals) for groups of
> 12 people, must have cooking experience, and must be
comfortable working with volunteers and living under
rustic/primitive conditions.  A positive "can do"
attitude, love of interacting with an eclectic group
of
> people, patience in dealing with both the public
(volunteers) and the scientists, and high self-esteem
and fun-loving nature will be extremely important to a
 successful field season. First aid, CPR, and
snorkeling experience are of added value as is a
background in biology, zoology, wildlife ecology,
environmental or marine science, or conservation
biology. Preference will be given to Belizean
Nationals who meet the above qualifications.

> Accepting Applications Immediately.
>

> CLOSING DATE (for Winter/Spring Term):  November 15,
> 2003
>
> CLOSING DATE (for Summer Term):  January 15, 2004
>

> Introduction: Be prepared to work very hard in
> exchange for this opportunity to participate in a
unique manatee field research project in Belize.  Our
Logistics Interns have three principle
responsibilities: (1) coordinate and train volunteers;
(2) coordinate camp logistics (with an emphasis on
weekly shopping and meal preparation); and (3) oversee
 collection and reduction of field data (including,
GPS data, acoustic recordings, and seagrass samples).
The intern will also help lead snorkeling trips on the
reef.  Our study site is located in Belize, a former
British colony surrounded by Latin American countries
- the culture is truly unique. Our living conditions
are
> rustic; we have limited solar power and collect
rainwater in vats for washing and drinking. We spend
considerable time in and on the water beneath a
> tropical sun. About 8 hours a day are spent on a
> small boat and another 6 hours are devoted to the
"logistics of living" on a mangrove island. We have
zero tolerance for illegal drugs, alcohol abuse, and
intimate relationships between intern(s) and EW
Volunteer(s) during the EW Expedition; This is not an
easy internship... however, if you believe you are up
to the challenge, it should be one of the most
rewarding experiences of your young career!

> Camp Conditions:  Spanish Bay Marine Research
> Station is situated on the northwest side of a
143-acre mangrove island in the Drowned Cayes, which
are located about 10 miles east of Belize City and 2
> miles west of the Belize barrier reef. If you are
familiar with the Drowned Cayes area, you might know
our island as Spanish Lookout Caye or Spanish Bay Caye
 and our research station as "Pink House", although
> only the trim is pink today. Aside from the staff
and guests at Spanish Bay Resort (located on the east
side of the island) and 3 island dogs, we are the only

> inhabitants. We live in a wood frame bunkhouse and
> have screens, showers, and toilet facilities. A
separate building serves as our kitchen, research and
social room. Our limited water (rainwater catchment
vat) and electricity (solar + generator) must be
conserved at all times. There is no nightlife on the
island, other than that we make ourselves! We bring
all our food and supplies by small boat from Belize
City once a week. Fishing and snorkeling can be done
right from our front yard; sunrises, sunsets, and
moonsets are brilliant with the lights of Belize City
in the background.

> Compensation:  This is a volunteer position and the
> intern will be expected to purchase their own
airfare to Belize.
> While at our camp, living expenses (room and board)
will be provided.
> The intern will have time to travel around Belize
(at his/her own expense) between Earthwatch Teams, if
he or she desires.

> Please see this webpage to apply:
> http://www.sirenian.org/LogisticsInternBelize.html

=====