Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

(knowledge) x (access) = progress

Ian Pitchford <[log in to unmask]>

Cognitive science of religion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:08:06 +0100

text/plain

June 26, 2003

PLoS PICTURES ANNOUNCES

PLoS SHORT MOVIE "WINGS" COMING TO A SCREEN NEAR YOU

A special, highly anticipated screening opportunity has been arranged for you
and all your VIP guests:

WHERE?    Your computer
HOW?      QuickTime and Windows Media at http://www.plos.org/video.html
WHEN?     Immediately

The Public Library of Science is excited to announce our newest,
public-oriented initiatives.  This campaign aims to increase public awareness
of the anachronistic scientific publishing system that denies citizens around
the world access to publicly-supported research and to promote an alternative
that will provide universal access and greatly accelerate scientific and
medical progress.  Specifically, PLoS has released a short video currently
being broadcast in select television areas and available on the internet, and
is announcing the introduction of new legislation that would increase access to
the results of publicly-funded research.

ABOUT "WINGS" PLoS VIDEO

PLoS has created a 30-second television message called "Wings," which began
airing Monday, June 23rd in strategic markets and will continue to air until
Thursday, July 3rd (see highlights of schedule below).  The video can also be
viewed on the PLoS website (http://www.plos.org/video.html).  Watch the PLoS
video on our website and share the link with scientists and cinephiles alike.
After all, like all of our content, this is an open-access presentation and we
invite you to use and distribute it widely!  The short piece humorously
provides a glimpse to the scientific progress that could be made if research
and discoveries were openly and freely shared.

ABOUT OPEN-ACCESS LEGISLATION

In addition, PLoS is eagerly awaiting new legislation that calls for open
access to publicly-funded scientific research.  Congressman Martin Sabo (MN) is
introducing a bill in the U.S. House of Representatives that constitutes a
critical first step towards making scientific and medical research results,
substantially funded by taxpayer dollars, freely available to ALL PERSONS.
This bill would dramatically increase the value of $50+ billion in American
taxpayer money spent on scientific research each year.

Press conferences are being held in the United States (San Francisco and
Washington, D.C.) today, June 26th, to promote these two initiatives for the
public.  The press release can be viewed on the PLoS website
(http://www.plos.org/news).  We hope that the coordinated release of both
public initiatives together will significantly forward the open-access
campaign.  Please spread the news to your colleagues across the world.  If you
have any questions regarding this campaign, please feel free to contact PLoS
via email ([log in to unmask]) or phone (415-624-1200).

Be riveted.  Get a taste for what the open access future will be like.  VIEW
THE VIDEO NOW AT HTTP://WWW.PLOS.ORG/VIDEO.HTML.

------------------------

Further information about our own peer-reviewed open access journal:

EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY

Evolutionary Psychology is an open-access peer-reviewed journal which aims to
foster communication between experimental and theoretical work, on the one
hand, and historical, conceptual and interdisciplinary writings across the
whole range of the biological and human sciences, on the other. We also wish to
encourage reflective and exploratory contributions and essay reviews on books
which merit extensive treatment.

Journal Homepage
http://human-nature.com/ep/
Journal Editorial Board