Help for DC-USAGE Archives

DC-USAGE Archives

DC-USAGE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DC-USAGE Home

DC-USAGE  December 2002

DC-USAGE December 2002

Re: Vocabulary scheme guidelines, new version

Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>

A mailing list for the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative's Usage Board <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:25:34 +0100

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:02:46PM +0100, Traugott Koch wrote:
> I did my best to include the decisions and discussion at the meeting in
> Florence into the newest version of the guidelines.
>
> Please have a look at:
> http://www.lub.lu.se/~traugott/drafts/vocab-guide4.html
>
> Comments and corrections most welcome.

Traugott,

Thank you for the revised Guidelines.  I have already
commented about the issue of recording and maintaining
information about a provider-maintained URI that identifies
the provider's own vocabulary.  In addition:

-- There has been discussion about "rules" for the case of
   the acronym/token, and I agree with Andy's convention to
   name classes with an upper-case first letter.  At any rate,
   this is the convention we have consistently followed within
   DCMI, and since the point here is to create new names for
   the DCMI namespace, I think it is worth adding a sentence
   to the Guidelines clarifying this point.

-- If we now have Encoding Schemes, of which there are the
   sub-types Vocabulary Encoding Schemes and Syntax Encoding
   Schemes, then the document should perhaps be called
   "Guidelines for registration of Vocabulary Encoding Schemes"
   or simply "Guidelines for registration of Encoding Schemes".
   I would suggest calling it the former until we broaden the
   scope of the fast-track registration system.

-- In 1.1, the formulation "DCMI does not approve vocabulary
   schemes" is ambiguous.  I think we mean to say: "DCMI does
   not recommend vocabulary encoding schemes" (which is not
   quite correct if the DCMI Type Vocabulary is recommended).
   Or do we mean: "Aside from the DCMI Type Vocabulary, DCMI
   does not maintain controlled vocabularies"?

-- In the 2.3 table, instead of "Associated element(s) or
   element qualifier(s)": "Element or Element Refinement
   qualified".

-- Section 2 does not say which fields will be served up to
   users of the DCMI registry (or otherwise passed on into
   publically accessible DCMI documentation or schemas)
   and which are purely for administrative purposes.   It is
   important that we specify this _somewhere_ in the Encoding
   Scheme registration form specifications, the process
   document, or in these guidelines.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784