DC-ACCESSIBILITY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DC-ACCESSIBILITY Home

DC-ACCESSIBILITY  November 2002

DC-ACCESSIBILITY November 2002

Explaining the project

Peter Rainger <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Accessibility Group <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:26:01 +0000

Dear all,

Thankyou for your interest in the project.

To clarify, we are creating the metadata taxonamy and a seperate
evalution tool that will be used to automatically create the metadata.

We will be using RDF (/XML) to describe metadata language and we will
be making that available seperately.

The Evaluation tool will not be using EARL because at this moment its
not far enough forward in its development.

The metadata will be based on a human computer interact perspective,
meaning that we will be looking to create language that can be used to
describe the main function aspects for accessing e-content for a person
with a disability.

For example, "device independant control" or words to that effect!
could be used to describe part of the accessibility issues for a switch
user.

The evalution tool hopefully will be unigue because it will include the
WSC guidelines:

- But will allow for the use of heuristic evalution of some usability
issues
- include educational specific questions
- produce machine readable code for use in repositories and websites.
- include the latest research about specific learning difficulties
- use plain english!
- provide a logical format for the materials accessment

The basis will be the 7 Precepts!
http://www.techdis.ac.uk/seven

The evaluation tool will calculate the conformance level or score for
each functional disability issue and an overal score.

The result will be something like this!

<metadata accessibility-rating="KB:3,TO:5,VI:3,HI:2,DY:5,MT:7,OV:100" />

or

<DC:Accessibility> KB:3,TO:5,VI:3,HI:2,DY:5,MT:7,OV:100
</DC:Accessibility>

This is not the be-end all to the problem but hopefully it will provide
a jump-start to it! as this work can be expanded on built upon.

Pete

PS. I will be in the office from 11 am so I will be feel to take calls
from then.

Peter Rainger
TechDis, USIE, EDB,
University of Sussex,