The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  October 2002

DISABILITY-RESEARCH October 2002

Re: Internet "research"

Judy Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Judy Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:33:35 -0000

The questions here aren't the same as the ones in your first post

a) is an archive a text (A: no; each post is)

bi)ethics of lurking (A: treat it as covert [participant] observation
and you have the answer)

bii) Does it represent a risk to list participants and/or to disabled
people (including children)?

(A: I can't work out which of the possible meanings of this you have
in mind)

c)Would the answers be the same for any kind of list?
(A:  not in my view.)

To your point/s here.

First, extraction from thread by means of quotation ignores
contributions by other participants (and "the List" and its ways).

Isn't the way to deal with this simply to make that point then quote?

Second, if a change is made at someone's request
then their "comment might look
very silly when placed back in the context of the original discussion"
is surely only material to people who can read the original
discussion, still, you might want to deal with this in the same way,
i.e. by mentioning it as a methodological point.

> Since, as a researcher, I'm
>interested in the discussion itself ...
(cut)
>- this is a real methodological
>and ethical problem for me

But you can present the discussion faithfully -- insofar as that can
ever be done! -- without actually quoting or in addition to the
quotes.  Not that I don't understand.  I just think perhaps preserving
the discussion intact because of your own interest in it, which is
simple, may be a different matter from
reporting it (which will involve extraction, compression, abstraction,
and so on).

My apologies for behaving as though you were trying to steal someone's
work; it was other people's denial that copyright might be involved
that got to me.  I have been in this discussion with lawyers, twice
now; the jury's in.

Judy Evans
Cardiff, Wales (UK)