Help for EAST-WEST-RESEARCH Archives

EAST-WEST-RESEARCH Archives

EAST-WEST-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

EAST-WEST-RESEARCH Home

EAST-WEST-RESEARCH  April 2002

EAST-WEST-RESEARCH April 2002

CFP:Globalization: English and Language Change in Europe (19 - 21 September 2002)

"Serguei Alex. Oushakine" <[log in to unmask]>

Serguei Alex. Oushakine

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:48:30 -0500

Institute of Applied Linguistics
University of Warsaw
Browarna 8/10
00-311 Warsaw, POLAND

organizes an international conference on:

Globalization: English and Language Change in Europe
19 - 21 September 2002

International Conference Committee
Isabella Buniyatova (Kiev), Frantisek Danes (Prague), Jacek Fisiak (Poznan),
Juliane House (Hamburg), Ferenc Kiefer (Budapest), Magnus Ljung (Stockholm),
Jan Renkema (Tilburg), Hartmut Schroeder (Frankfurt/O), Peter Trudgill
(Fribourg), Wolfgang Viereck (Bamberg)

Keynote speakers
John E. Joseph (Edinburgh)
Tomasz P. Krzeszowski (Warsaw)
Peter Nelde (Brussels)
Jan Renkema (Tilburg)
Elzbieta Tabakowska (Krakow)
Peter Trudgill (Fribourg)

Venue
Centrum Falenty (www.falenty.com.pl) - high-standard conference centre (12
km from the heart of Warsaw), with well-equipped conference rooms and
comfortable accommodation. It offers free use of a fitness club, sauna, and
billiard tables. The centre is located in beautiful surroundings of the
Mazowiecki Landscape Park.

Objectives
The purpose of this conference is to look into language change that results
from globalization processes and that is mediated through English. We take
the view that globalization means (some) homogenization, as well as
hybridization, of social and linguistic knowledge across languages and
cultures. From a linguistic perspective, globalization associates first of
all with a growing interventionism of English in the linguistic, social and
cultural spaces of other languages and cultures. What is the actual role of
English in the generation and the transmission of global values into the
communicative repertories and the social worlds of other languages?

We seek papers exploring this topic from the perspective of regional
languages in Europe, with special interest in the situation in
post-communist Central and Eastern Europe, where globalization through
English seems to have taken a rapid and radical course.

By language change we understand changes in language systems as well as in
patterns and styles of communication. We are particularly interested in
instances of discursive borrowing, that is, the importation into the
regional languages of words, structures, text types and interactive
strategies that originate from English and spread as a result of
globalization tendencies. With the word discursive we emphasize our interest
in how the various linguistic devices and strategies are functioning in
their new social and cultural environments.
We believe that a sociolinguistic approach to globalization can give
interesting insights into traditional linguistic topics such as language
contact, language change and variation, and that it can open up new vistas
for translation and studies in inter-cultural communication.
Some of the topics for discussion within the frame of this conference:

Does globalization contribute to our understanding of concepts such as
language dominance, linguistic imperialism, linguistic (cultural) asymmetry?
Does globalization influence social attitudes to language and linguistic
(cultural) borrowing?
Can globalization lead to a reinterpretation of ethnicity relations and of
the role of border discourses?
Are we on the way to linguistic homogenization and unification of
communication patterns?
Is the spread of English developing into a new form of bilingualism?
How do the current practices of language mixing relate to such phenomena as
code-switching, code crossing or pidginization?
What are the cognitive effects of the ongoing linguistic and social changes?
What are the social effects of discursive borrowing (e.g., social
advancement and social alienation; solidarity and conflict; redefinition of
traditional community barriers; differences in social image display rules
that are culturally sanctioned)?
What is the role of multimodal communications?
What is the role of linguistics in developing an integrated approach to
studies of communication in societies affected by globalization tendencies?
How does globalization affect translation?
More specific topics include queries such as the following:
Can we speak today about globalization through English? If so, then what
patterns of sociolinguistic change are repeated in other European languages?
How to establish the English sources of change in other languages
(cultures)?
How do these languages select for English words, syntactic structures,
discourse markers, etc.? How do they accommodate such borrowings in their
communal repertories?
What are the major social and discoursal domains of English influence in
particular languages? What are its specific social effects?
How do regional languages accommodate discursive features of the English
discourse system?
What genres, discourse patterns and communication strategies are imported
for use in various social domains? The following areas of discourse analysis
are suggested for consideration: private vs. public discourses; media
discourses; institutional and occupational communication; generational
discourses; gender discourses.

General topics
discourse analysis
genre analysis
pragmatics
sociolinguistics
corpus linguistics
cognitive linguistics
ethnography of communication
critical linguistics
translation studies

Sections
Section 1: Globalization - language contact and language change revisited
Section 2: Discourse semantics
Section 3: Genre analysis
Section 4: Media discourse
Section 5: Institutional discourse (corporate, business communication)
Section 6: Multimodal communication
Section 7: Conversational analysis
Section 8: Gender discourse
Section 9: Translation

Papers
Individual papers and workshop proposals are invited. Papers will last for
20 minutes, followed by a 10-minute discussion time. Abstracts, with the
author's name, affiliation, e-mail address, and paper title, should be
300-500 words long. They should be sent electronically (MS Word, text or rtf
files) by March 31, 2002 to (Urszula Okulska) [log in to unmask]
Notification of acceptance will be sent to the authors by the end of May
2002. Selected papers will be published in the conference proceedings.

Equipment
The Falenty Centre is equipped with multimedial facilities (TV, video,
flipchart, overhead projectors) that may be used for the presentation of the
papers. The delegates who have special requirements concerning the equipment
are asked to specify it in the GlobE 2002
REPLY FORM.

Book exhibition and sale
We are planning an exhibition and sale of books at discount prices organized
by the Omnibus Bookshop.

Registration
To register for the conference, please complete and return by e-mail the
enclosed GlobE 2002 REPLY FORM at your earliest convenience, but not later
than the end of March 2002. The conference fee is $45/190PLN (participants
from EU and other Western countries) and $30/120PLN (participants from
Eastern Europe). The fee includes the cost of conference materials,
tea/coffee during the breaks, and a sightseeing tour of Warsaw. The money
should be sent by June 30, 2002 by bank transfer to the following account:
address: Institute of Applied Linguistics
Warsaw University
ul. Browarna 8/10
00-311 Warsaw
bank name: BBG S.A. I/O Warsaw
account number: 11601029 - 30506321
When filling in the bank transfer form, please quote "GlobE 2002".

Financial assistance
Speakers from Central and Eastern Europe can apply for financial support,
which they may do in section 13 of the GlobE 2002 REPLY FORM. They will be
informed about granting the financial assistance by the end of May 2002
together with the notification of acceptance.

Accommodation and meals (reduced prices!)
Single and double rooms have been reserved at the conference venue for the
whole time of the conference (19-21 September 2002) as well as for the night
preceding and following the meeting (18, 22 September 2002). We have been
able to negotiate more favourable prices than the ones announced so far for
meals and accommodation.
Prices per person (breakfast included):
single room $43/180 PLN
double room $22/90 PLN.
Please, make reservations by both fax and e-mail directly at the Falenty
Centre:
tel: +48 22 720 27 75
+48 22 720 05 39
+48 22 715 50 88
fax: +48 22 720 27 78
e-mail (please note the change of address!): [log in to unmask]
The local restaurant will also provide the following meals:
lunch - $5/20 PLN
supper - $3/10 PLN.
Conference dinner
There will be a conference dinner at the price of $48/200 PLN. The
participants who would like to take part in it are asked to mark it in the
GlobE 2002 REPLY FORM.

Current information
Further information about the conference can be found at the Institute
website:
www.ils.uw.edu.pl
www.uw.edu.pl/ils
Contact address