Re: Attributes of DCMI metadata terms

Sugimoto Shigeo <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:13:54 +0900

text/plain

Dear Tom,

I have a question on the attributes from the viewpoint of multilingual
description. I'm CCing this message to DC-international (localization
and internationalization group) since the subscribers might have interests
in this issue.

Given that a term is translated into a language(s) which is officially
approved by a local community(ies), do you mean that "See also" is to
be used to point the translation (or translations)?
Or, no linking from the central description to local but official descriptions?

I'm thinking that DC Term descriptions in non-English languages could have
the same set of descriptive elements, e.g. "Label", "Definition", etc..
And, in addition, each description of an element could have a link to
the corresponding element to the Official description in English,
which maintained in the central registry.

Thank you,

-- Shigeo

In <20020417162514.A1856@LEPIDUS>, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>> Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:25:14 +0200
>> From: Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject:      Attributes of DCMI metadata terms
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Attached at the end of this message is an appendix showing
>> which attributes have been used to describe DCMI terms
>> since 1996.  Based on these sets of attributes, and in light
>> of current discussion on this list, I suggest here a set of
>> attributes for "DCMI term declarations" and suggest that a "See
>> Also" link point to further background information collected
>> by the Usage Board as documentation for new-term proposals.
>>
>> I am currently working on the long-awaited Consolidated Term
>> Declaration (or perhaps Dictionary) that brings DCMES 1.1,
>> the Dublin Core Qualifiers, and the terms approved by Usage
>> Board in 2001 into one document using a consistent set of
>> attributes.  Finishing that task depends on resolving the
>> problem discussed here.
>>
>> I would appreciate if some of you could give this a careful
>> read from various points of view -- Usage Board, Registry,
>> and Architecture (eg, RDF schemas).  A caveat: I have not
>> tested this by formatting all of the DCMI terms yet --
>> uh, I'd rather get consensus on the attributes first...
>> In particular, I'm not very happy with the jargon for "name of
>> term", "namespace URI of term", and "URI of term's namespace".
>>
>> The consolidated term document will supersede all previous
>> documents and become the definitive declaration of DCMI terms
>> and therefore the basis for any machine-understandable
>> representations thereof.
>>
>> I would also like to hear opinions on where this set of
>> attributes should reside -- perhaps in a special Usage Board
>> document, though it is not clear to me that the Usage Board
>> should be the group to maintain the schema attributes.
>>
>> Also, I cite what I see as the major documents setting the
>> context for this set of attributes:
>> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/
>> http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/process/
>> http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/mission/
>> Am I overlooking any?
>>
>> I propose:
>>
>> ------------start-----------------------------------------------
>> A "DCMI term declaration" (see
>> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/) should contain:
>>
>>    Label                  The human-readable label assigned to
>>                           the qualifier.
>>    Definition             The definition of the term.
>>                           - or -
>>                           A statement that represents the concept
>>                           and essential nature of the term.
>>    Comment                Additional information associated with
>>                           the term.
>>                           - or -
>>                           Information concerning the possible
>>                           application of the proposed term
>>    See Also               A link to more information about the term.
>>
>>    Name of term           The unique token assigned to the term
> [...]

SUGIMOTO, Shigeo, Ph.D.
Professor
University of Library and Information Science (ULIS)
postal address:  Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8550, JAPAN
phones: +81-298-59-1348(office), +81-298-59-1556 (lab.)
        +81-298-59-1090(ULIS, Research Assistance Office)
fax: +81-298-59-1093    email: [log in to unmask]