Resource Publishes Annual Workplan 2002/03

Mike Heyworth <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:08:11 -0000

From: Emma Wright [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 March 2002 16:55

For Immediate Release
Contact:  Emma Wright

020 7273 1459

Resource Publishes Annual Workplan 2002/03

London, 18 March 2002  - Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and
Libraries has published its Workplan for 2002/03.

Matthew Evans, Resource Chairman, said:  "Since April 2000 Resource has
worked with the museums, archives and libraries sector to identify and raise
awareness of specific needs and issues, and to develop sustainable long-term
solutions and opportunities.  Research and development, consultation, and
the implementation of strategic action plans are at the heart of this, and
since our inception we have published a number of planning and framework
documents.  These documents contain information on a broad range of
initiatives spanning the next three years and beyond.  To complement them,
there is a need to state in more detail what we intend to achieve in the
forthcoming year.  We have therefore produced the Workplan which details our
specific tasks for the financial year 2002/03.

"Resource has a high-level funding agreement with the Department for
Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and the tasks in the Workplan reflect the
objectives detailed in that funding agreement, as well as our own vision and
the commitments already made in the various action plans and strategies
detailed above."

The Workplan includes a detailed list of tasks that Resource will be
undertaking over the next year in support of its five key objectives for the
next three years:
*       To develop the organisational and funding infrastructure that will
support the sector's development, meeting the needs of the English regions,
aligned with the priorities of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and in
dialogue with the wider international community.
*       To encourage the development of accessible and inclusive collections
and services that provide learning, inspiration and enjoyment for everyone.
*       To demonstrate the impact of our sector on society and the economy.
*       To determine the strategic needs and priorities of our sector.
*       To ensure Resource's increasing operational effectiveness.

Chris Batt, Resource's Acting Chief Executive, commented:  "The Resource
Workplan illustrates the range of important tasks we are working on during
the next 12 months.  These include the implementation of a sustainable
regional framework, with the establishment of museums hubs, as recommended
in Renaissance in the Regions, and the strengthening of the Regional
Agencies for the museums, archives and libraries sector.  We will be
establishing regional funding and learning and access support units in all
English regions and a framework that enables museums, archives and libraries
to provide targeted, socially inclusive services.

"Resource will also ensure that UK Online centres are established in all UK
public libraries by the end of 2002, and will be working to secure the
long-term sustainability of the People's Network.  A model for a national
framework for collections management and development will be produced and a
report from the Archives Task Force will be published.  We will be
strengthening our research programme with the establishment of a
large-scale, evidence-based research project, and will continue to develop
our 10-year forward vision, the 2012 project, to help us determine the
long-term strategic needs and priorities of our sector.

"We will be making quarterly reports to the Resource Board on the progress
of these and all the other projects detailed in our Workplan.  There is a
great deal to be achieved, but I am confident that the tasks we have set
ourselves reflect the priorities and needs of the sector and are realistic
and attainable.  These are hugely exiting times for Resource, and for the
sector we represent."

        The Workplan is available on the Resource website at
http://www.resource.gov.uk/information/policy/wrkplan2002_00.asp

# # #

Notes to Editors:

To interview Chris Batt please contact Emma Wright, Media and Events Manager
on 020 7273 1459 or [log in to unmask]

Resource provides the strategic leadership, advocacy and advice to enable
museums, archives and libraries to touch people's lives and inspire their
imagination, learning and creativity.  The Resource website can be viewed at
http://www.resource.gov.uk

13/02

Emma Wright
Media and Events Manager
Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
16 Queen Anne's Gate
London  SW1H 9AA
Direct line 020 7273 1459
Switchboard 020 7273 1444
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.resource.gov.uk
Join the Resourcenews email list at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/resourcenews.html

Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
16 Queen Anne's Gate
London
SW1H 9AA

Tel 02072731444