YORK ARCHAEOLOGICAL TRUST
CHIEF EXECUTIVE £50,000*
The founding Director, Dr Peter Addyman, retires this Autumn. The Trust is
looking to his successor to develop further one of Britain's foremost
archaeological organisations, building on its record of success since 1972
in excavation, conservation, research, publication, education and public
presentation. In addition, the Trust owns and runs two of Britain's leading
archaeological attractions, JORVIK and the ARC, both in the centre of the
City of York and is responsible for a very rich collection of urban
The new Chief Executive will lead the provision and promotion of archaeology
of the highest standards in York, its region and beyond by:
o managing a team of over 100 diverse professionals and specialist staff;
o maximising the flow of funds both from external sources and from JORVIK,
now approaching its 13 millionth visitor;
o expanding the Trust's spheres of activity and academic range.
Applicants will possess:
1. A wide knowledge of British archaeology;
2. Relevant management experience, including team-building, the delivery of
a strategic plan and profit centre responsibility;
3. A good grasp of the attractions business;
4. Commitment to the educational, cultural and tourism benefits of York's
5. Strong presentational, interpersonal and partnership skills;
6. The ability to exploit technology to fulfil the Trust's ambitions.
Further information about this appointment and the York Archaeological Trust
is available from: Peter Vaughan, Chairman, York Archaeological Trust, c/o
CBA, 111 Walmgate, York YO1 9WA. Applications must be received by 8 March
The Trust is a registered charity no. 509060.
*May be more for an exceptional candidate.