JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for PHYSIO Archives


PHYSIO Archives

PHYSIO Archives


PHYSIO@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PHYSIO Home

PHYSIO Home

PHYSIO  January 2002

PHYSIO January 2002

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

Re: Evidence based practice - getting a grip

From:

Patrick Zerr <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

- for physiotherapists in education and practice <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:33:29 -0700

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (85 lines)

Can't EVB be what you as a clinician find to work for a given condition?  In
PT there are so many variables of how the patient presents, and then the
practitioner has many different ways of applying the same technique.
Although everything a practitioner does should be uniform I find that very
difficult to do.  For example: the next time you have a student PT look at
how they do an ultrasound versus how you do it, it's different, and you
might advise them to do it a certain way that you think is more effective.
The same goes for many techniques when instructing a student.

Patrick Zerr
www.apluspt.com
The easiest way to prepare for the National PT Exam!
www.summitpt.com
Summit Physical Therapy; Tempe, Arizona
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jackie Waterfield" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 2:32 AM
Subject: Re: Evidence based practice - getting a grip


> Evidence based practice emphasies the judicious use of best
> external evidence, clinical expertise and patient
> preferences
> they do not expect you to put aside clinical reasoning
> thats how you make 'all sorts of evidence' work for you
> jackie
>
>
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:51:26 +1000 Henry Tsao
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > Yes, I do see your point about US. I guess I continue to use it
regardless
> > of the evidence for the old clients who believe that the machine with
the
> > gel gets rid off their pain :D Even if it is just placebo, if it is what
the
> > patient wants and makes the patients feel better, then I am not going to
> > ignore this effect. Apart from this, I do not use it in my other
patients
> > unless it is specifically requested.
> >
> > U/S has been used for a long time, but has only come under strict and
close
> > scrutiny in recent days, and I think we can say this to be true for most
> > physiotherapy techniques. It would be interesting however to see
> > replications of those studies published in physical therapy 2001 on the
> > effects of U/S in the near future. As we all know, it is a study's
> > reproducibility that strengthens its evidence.
> >
> > The article that I mentioned in Manual Therapy November 2001 is entitled
> > "Evidence-based practice - getting a grip and finding a balance." One of
the
> > statements made were:
> >
> > "We have a lot of evidence to gather, a lot of ground to make up.
> > Importantly, we must avoid the "evidence-based practice technique
syndrome"
> > where every patient with a certain diagnostic label, for example low
back
> > pain... if clinicians do this... clinical reasoning skills will be lost
and
> > clinicians themselves will become little more than technicians who can
be
> > replaced by a cheaper workforce."
> >
> > Henry***
> >
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
>
> ----------------------
> Jackie Waterfield
> Department of Physiotherapy Studies
> Keele University
> Keele
> Staffs ST5 5BG
> Email:[log in to unmask]
> Tel: 01782 583537
>

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JiscMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999
August 1999
July 1999
June 1999
May 1999
April 1999
March 1999
February 1999
January 1999
December 1998
November 1998
October 1998
September 1998
August 1998
July 1998
June 1998
May 1998
April 1998
March 1998


WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager