ZOOARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ZOOARCH Home

ZOOARCH  2002

ZOOARCH 2002

databases & electronic publishing

jhb5 <[log in to unmask]>

Zooarchaeology is the analysis of Animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 May 2002 10:40:59 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear Jim,

I'm interested to hear about your project. How has the deer work
turned out? My postgrad students in York (Jen Harland, Steve
Ashby and Rachel Gamble) and I would be very interested in your
results. Are they in a citable format at this stage?

As you might imagine we also have an emerging Scottish database, but
one day those of us working in the area should definitely 'get it
together' and put our efforts - combined or case-by-case - on
line! Your work might inspire the rest of us.

The front-end of our present system - a data entry tool for teaching
and research developed by Jen Harland (after the EAU system initiated
by Keith Dobney et al.) - will be forthcoming in Internet Archaeology
& is set for release at ICAZ in August. It is always difficult to
predict the appeal and uptake of something like this, but our hope is
that it will facilitate the collection, archiving and analysis of
large comparable datasets over the next 5-10 years for those who do
choose to adopt it. It combines an integrated recording protocol (for
Mammals, birds, fish, amphibians & reptiles), graphical interfaces and
easy to use reports (to calculate MNEs, for example). The taxa covered
assume use in Britain & Europe, but it can be customized by the
user for other contexts.

These discussions are all very encouraging. If we can fight
off total relegation (as seems likely despite the rhetoric) the
emergence of complementary digital archiving in comparable formats
could transform the explanatory power of zooarchaeology.

All the best,

James Barrett