FILM-PHILOSOPHY 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

2002.12.04 Film-Philosophy News

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:51:30 +0000

text/plain

.:,
.', :. .
.. , ..' : ..
.. '. .. ,. ..: ..
.. .: .'.. ,. . ... F I L M - P H I L O S O P H Y
. ' ...,... . . .:. . .
. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. ISSN 1466-4615
. ., . . :... . . '.. Journal : Salon : Portal
. .'. , : ..... . PO Box 26161, London SW8 4WD
. .:..'...,. . http://www.film-philosophy.com
.. :.,.. '....
....:,. '. 2002.12.04 Film-Philosophy News
.' :. .
.,'

Call for Papers

Society for the Philosophical Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts (SPSCVA)

Panel session at the Eastern Division Meeting of the American
Philosophical Association (APA)

(Dec. 27-30, 2003, Washington, DC, Washington Hilton)

Open call for papers: Deadline March 15, 2003

Any previously unpublished paper on philosophy and the visual arts is
welcome. Papers on the philosophy of film or on a specific
philosophical issue in the work(s) of a particular filmmaker are
especially welcome.

Send electronic abstracts/proposals to: James Harold, Eastern
Division Meeting Program Chair, Mount Holyoke College
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

For society information, visit <http://www.lhup.edu/~dshaw>www.lhup.edu/~dshaw

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

From: Mark Jancovich <[log in to unmask]>

Scope's new texts are now online. They are free to all via the link
to the Institute of Film Studies below.

---------------------------------------- Articles

American Civil Religion, The Lost Cause, and D.W. Griffith: The Birth
of a Nation Revisited, By Kris Jozajtis.

Issues of Gender in Muscle Beach Party, By Joan Ormrod.

Ripped from Today's Headlines: The Outlaw Biker Movie Cycle, By Andrew Syder.

Shall We F***?: Notes on Parody in the Pink, By Julian Stringer.

---------------------------------------- Book Reviews

Consuming Audiences?: Production and Reception in Media Research,
Edited by Ingunn Hagen and Janet Wasko, A Review by Cynthia Baron

Film Parody, By Dan Harries and Hitchcock: Suspense, Humour and Tone,
By Susan Smith, A Review by Martin Flanagan

The Film Studies Dictionary, By Steven Blandford, Barry Keith Grant &
Jim Hillier, A Review by Karen Boyle

Framing the South: Hollywood, Television, and Race During the Civil
Rights Struggle, By Allison Graham, A Review by Sharon Monteith

Irish Film: The Emergence of a Contemporary Cinema, By Martin
McLoone, A Review by Sarah Neely

Media and Everyday Life in Modern Society, By Shaun Moores, A Review
by Stephen Harper

Narrative and Genre: Key Concepts in Media Studies, By Nick Lacey, A
Review by Laurie E. Harnick

Postmodern Media Culture, By Jonathan Bignell, A Review by William Cummings

Pulp Fiction, By Dana Polan, A Review by Karen Boyle

Rome Open City (Roma Citt Aperta), By David Forgacs and Rossellini:
Magician of the Real, Edited by David Forgacs, Sarah Lutton and
Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, A Review by Luca Prono

----------------------------------------Film Reviews

Ali, A Review by Champa Patel

Amores Perros, A Review by Michael Keating

British Avant-Garde Film in the Twenties/ British Avant-Garde Film in
the Thirties, A Review Essay by Martin Stollery

Bully, A Review by Deborah Shaller

The Gleaners and I, A Review by Kimberly Lamm

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, A Review by Alice Mills

Hollywood Ending, A Review by Fritz Esker

Htel Terminus, A Review by Anna Norris

Legally Blonde, A Review by Sue Lewak

Memento, A Review by Jerome de Groot

Spider-Man, A Review by Will Brooker

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, A Review by Philip Anthony Pirrello

State and Main, A Review by Damon Miller

Die Unberhrbare, A Review by Lisa Rull

Zoolander, A Review by Christine Haase

---------------------------------------- Conference Reports

Motorbikes, Penis Pics and the Grateful Dead: Film Studies Meets Pop
Culture in Albuquerque, The 23rd Annual Conference of the
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association/American Culture
Association. February 13-17, 2002, Albuquerque, New Mexico, A Report
by Sarah H. S. Graham

To Theorise Beyond Theory, "WHAT'S LEFT OF THEORY?": The Cultural
Studies Association of Australia Conference at the University of
Tasmania, A Report by C. Jason Lee

Visualizing Rhetoric and Rhetoricizing the Visual: The Visual
Rhetoric Conference, 2001, Indiana University-Bloomington, A Report
by Courtney Bailey

Thanks.

Mark
--
Dr Mark Jancovich
Reader and Director

*Scope is now indexed in the MLA International Bibliography*

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

From: Robin Curtis <[log in to unmask]>

Conference Announcement:
"Redesignations: Architectural and Cinematic Spacing"

On Friday January 17th and Saturday January 18th, 2003 in the Jewish Museum
Lindenstraþe 9-14
10969 Berlin

Participants:

Raymond Bellour (C.N.R.S. Paris) The Chamber Giuliana Bruno (Harvard
University) Atlas of Emotion: Journeys in Art,
Architecture, and Film
Christa Bl¸mlinger (UniversitÈ de Sorbonne 3, Paris) Virtualisierung des
filmischen Raums (zu Constanze Ruhm)
Beatriz Colomina (Princeton University) Enclosed by Images: The Eameses'
Multiscreen Architecture
Jan und Tim Edler (Realities: United, Berlin) Projekt Bix u.a. Relation,
Integration und Synthese von bewegtem Bild und Raum Thomas Elsaesser
(Universiteit van Amsterdam) City Synergies: Promoting
Planned Living in Films of the 1920s
Lorenz Engell (Bauhaus Universit”t Weimar) Die Jalousie Anne
Friedberg (University of California, Irvine) The Architecture of
Spectatorship
Mark Jancovich (University of Nottingham) A Progressive City and its
Cinemas: Technology, Modernity and the Spectacle of Abundance
Michaela Ott (Universit”t Stuttgart) Der unbestimmte Raum in
Philosophie
und Film
Peter Pakesch (Kunsthaus Graz)
Ludger Schwarte (Freie Universit”t Berlin) Das Licht als –ffentlicher
Raum - Die Laterna Magica und die Kinoarchitektur

Organized by:
Project B11 "The Act of Screening in the Space of the Cinema"
www.sfb-performativ.de/seiten/b11_engl.html

Led by Prof. Dr. Gertrud Koch, Freie Universit”t Berlin

Under the aegis of the Sonderforschungsbereich 447 "Kulturen des
Performativen" at the Freie Universit”t Berlin www.sfb-performativ.de

For further details contact
Robin Curtis [log in to unmask]
Marc Gl–de [log in to unmask]

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

Marxism and Culture

Pluto Press

General Editors: Michael Wayne and Esther Leslie

This new series aims to revive, renew and develop Marxism as an
emancipatory tool for analysing media and cultural practices within
capitalism and class society. The series seeks to attract proposals
from writers who are able to demonstrate the explanatory power of
Marxism to the many students and interested readers presently
ill-served by the available literature, subjected as they are to
travestied or reductive accounts. The focus is on both contemporary
popular culture and the high and avant garde art of the past, brought
into connection with a range of pressing issues, such as
globalisation, ecology and nature, science, the family, identity,
migration and asylum, war, inequality and oppression. Developments in
new technologies, their relation to capital and the contradictory
role of the intelligentsia within media and culture institutions
represent other significant strands. The interplay of social
relations with forms of identity - ethnic, gendered and sexual - may
be addressed. We are also keen to consider proposals that address
metatheoretical work on the history of Marxist cultural theory, its
methodologies and various currents, as well as assessments of
Marxism's relevance to 21st century cultural conditions and contexts.
Marxist accounts of rival theoretical outlooks are also welcome. We
are confident that there are audiences for studies that emphasise the
role of class division and class struggle and invite your proposals.

Email