FILM-PHILOSOPHY 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

2002.11.21 Film-Philosophy News

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:52:16 +0000

text/plain

.:,
.', :. .
.. , ..' : ..
.. '. .. ,. ..: ..
.. .: .'.. ,. . ... F I L M - P H I L O S O P H Y
. ' ...,... . . .:. . .
. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. ISSN 1466-4615
. ., . . :... . . '.. Journal : Salon : Portal
. .'. , : ..... . PO Box 26161, London SW8 4WD
. .:..'...,. . http://www.film-philosophy.com
.. :.,.. '....
....:,. '. 2002.11.21 Film-Philosophy News
.' :. .
.,'

Reinventing Reality
From: "Alison Rodgers" <[log in to unmask]>

Dundee Contemporary Arts

Reinventing Reality

DCA explores reality in the first events in this ongoing series.
Manipulation, reinvention, rhetoric. Artists, documentary-makers, the
media. Who is mediating our reality and what techniques and
strategies are they using in the growing exchange between art,
reportage, fiction and entertainment?

Amy Hardie: Docspace
Thursday 21 November
6.30pm, Cinema 2
UKP3.50 (UKP2)

A special screening of extracts from key works of documentary
film-making and a passionate argument about the importance of this
essential genre that attempts to portray the real in endlessly
creative, challenging ways.

Sarah Tripp on 'Testatika'
Thursday 28 November
7pm, Cinema 2
UKP3.50 (UKP2)

A special screening as acclaimed artist Sarah Tripp gives her
compelling account of the making of her film 'Testatika' that
'documents' her investigation into the Testatika machine, a potential
solution to the world's energy problems.

To book or for more information Call DCA Box Office on 01382 909900

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

THE SPECTACLE OF THE REAL
FROM HOLLYWOOD TO 'REALITY' TV AND BEYOND

BRUNEL UNIVERSITY 25-26 JANUARY 2003

Keynote speakers:
Douglas Kellner, UCLA
Jay David Bolter, Georgia Institute of Technology

Conference Fees
UKP95 for both days (students UKP65)
UKP50 for one day (students UKP35)

Programme
SATURDAY 25 January

Registration/coffee, 9-10

Keynote, 10 -11:
Douglas Kellner, UCLA, '9-11, Terror War and Media Spectacle: Welcome
to the New Orwellian World'

Coffee

Session 1: Spectacle, Ideology, Catastrophe 11.30 -1.15 Eugene Arva,
University of Miami, 'Life as Show Time: Aesthetic Images and
Ideological Spectacles' Lee Rodney, Goldsmiths, London, 'Real-time,
Catastrophe, Spectacle: Reality as Fantasy in Live Media' Geoff King,
Brunel University, '"Just Like a Movie?": 9-11 and Hollywood
Spectacle' Dean Lockwood, University of Lincoln, 'Teratology of the
Spectacle'

Lunch, 1.15 -2.15

Session 2: Reality/TV, 2.15-4.00
Christine Fanthome, 'The Unrealities of Reality TV' Amy West,
University of Aukland, 'The Low-Tech Reality Effect and 'Visual
Ordinariness' Misha Kavka, University of Aukland, 'Reality Matters;
or, How I Learned to love Reality TV' Annette Hill, University of
Westminster, 'Real TV; Audience Resonses to Factual Entertainment'

Tea/coffee

Session 3: Reality TV/Documentary, 4.30-6.00 Strand 1
Deborah Jermyn, Southampton Institute,'"It's the most dramatic thing
you can have": CCTV and the spectacle of actuality in television
crime appeal programming' Leon Hunt, Brunel University,
'Hell-in-a-Cell and Other Stories: Violence and Authenticity in
'Hardcore' Wrestling' Bernadette Flynn, Griffith University,
Brisbane, 'Docobriocalage in the age of simulation'

Strand 2
Tanya Horeck, Anglia Polytechnic University,'Public Rape: Raw Deal: A
Question of Consent' Frances Bonner, University of Queensland,
'"Looking Inside": Showing Operations on Medical Television' Karen
Scott, National Museum of Photography, Film & Television,
Bradford,'The Spectacle of "the Past": Contemporary documentary and
the role of new technology'

Drinks/Food

SUNDAY 26 January
Coffee, 9-9.30

Session 4, 9.30-11.00
Strand 1: Emotions/Trauma
Michele Aaron, Brunel University, Spectacles of Death and the
complicitous spectator (title tbc) Kathy Smith, London Metropolitan
University, 'Reframing Fantasy: September 11 and the Global Audience'
Pat Cook, Brunel University, 'Watching Telly: Emotion Studies and the
Question of Moral Responsibility'

Strand 2
Hilary Harris, Griffith University, Brisbane, 'Military
Humanitarianism: To spectacularize the military but not to militarise
the spectacle' Jon Kraszewski, Indiana University, 'Narratives and
Spectacles of Race on MTV's Reality Show "The Real World"' Julia
Hallam, University of Liverpool, 'Split screen spectacles: engaging
viewers in the multi-channel TV landscape'

Coffee

Session 5: Film, 11.30-1.15
Michele Pierson, University of Queensland, 'A Production Designer's
Cinema: Authenticity and Allusion in Historical-Fantasy Film' Lisa
Purse, University of Reading, 'The New Spatial Dynamics of the
Bullet-Time Effect' Pat Brereton, Dublin City Universtiy,
'Representations of Historical, Ecological and Future Disasters - A
case study of Spielberg's use of SFX' Taek-Gwang Lee, University of
Sheffield, 'The Logic of Computer-Generated Film'

Lunch, 1.15-2.15

Session 6: Film/Animation, 2.15-4.00
Strand 1
Julian Petley, Brunel, 'Real Life Death' Peg Aloi, Emerson College,
'Beyond the Blair Witch: A New Horror Aesthetic?' Mike Wayne, Brunel,
'Spectacles of Reification: Possession, Ghosts and Value Theory Tanya
Krzywinska, Brunel University, 'The Enigma of the Real: Authentic Sex
in Contemporary "Legitimate" Cinema'

Strand 2
Seth Giddings, University of West of England, '"They must be
simulated": Animation as Spectacular Realism' Paul Ward, Brunel
University, '"I was dreaming I was awake, but then I woke up and
found myself asleep": Dreaming, Spectacle and Reality in Richard
Linklater's Waking Life' Martin Flanagan, Bolton Institute, 'Toy
Stories: Technology, Space and Realism in Pixar Films'

Session 7, 4.30-6pm
Closing keynote and plenary discussion
Jay David Bolter, Georgia Institute of Technology, 'New Media and the
Remediation of Spectacle'

Geoff King
Film and TV Studies
Brunel University, UK

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

From: "Natasha Anderson" <[log in to unmask]> Bcc:

Institute of International Visual Arts

Friday 22 November 2002, 2pm at TheSpace@inIVA, 6-8 Standard Place,
Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3BE

For those of you who missed the opening of MSDM: Outsourcing last
week. As part of inIVA's Soft season of exhibitions and debates,
Zeigam Azizov (artist/critic) will be in conversation with Paula
Roush on the 'Domestication of Visual Pleasure' on Friday, 22
November at [log in to unmask] This will be followed by a guided walk to
the Geffrye Museum of English domestic interiors, (Refreshments will
be provided.)

Please call 020 7729 9616 to book your place.

MAD exhibition: 13/11 - 6/12/02
http://www.iniva.org/soft/project_06.html

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

To: Film- Philosopy-Editor

From

JosŽ Manuel Ferreira Diz
      Production Manager

Dear sir,

I have the pleasure to present you our production

"The missing word"

writen and directed by Alfredo Colunga.

The story can be described as follows (excuse the translation):

Ivan Trab’a, a genetic engineer in the mid-fortys, suddenly discovers
that he«s suffering a terminal disease. Couldly he abandons the
scientific procedures,  puts a camera in front of him and starts
speculating about the long-term future of human kind. Cold and
rational as he wants to appear, he even entrust a friend to tape his
own death... The truth is that at the end we doubt if what we have
heard was solid or nothing but an attractive but presocratic
delirium, but... isn«t it a human need to speculate? And even more:
if religions must not be presented as the only possible answer...
wouldn«t it  be then a scientific obligation to take the risk?

Made in Betacam digital, we are now at the end of the postproduction
process (sound-mixing). Then, we will kinescope it to present it as
35mm. In this way It will be presented as a 20 min. short film.

But, because its fragmentary structure, the director would like to
present it also as a video installation (he even prefers to show it
that way).

We are looking for favourable scenarios to present the work, which is
unusual enough as for not to be sure about how to distribute it. If
you think the work may result you interesting, with pleasure we will
send you a copy ,spanish filmed-english subtitled.

Enclosed is the design for the cover.

If you want to know more about our work, please have a look at our
web page. But some of our last works- very interesting- are not yet
included on it.

Best-

MANç VISUAL AUDIO S.L.
c/Palacio ValdŽs 15 2 EI
33002 Oviedo
SPAIN

tel: +0034985213210
fax:+0034985215139

<http://www.manavisualaudio.com>
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
<http://www.manavisualaudio.com>www.manavisualaudio.com