CFP: "Innovating Medicine", Manchester, July 11-13, 2003

"Chaplin, Simon" <[log in to unmask]>

Museums of Health and Medicine Link <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:38:11 +0100

From: Carsten Timmermann [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 June 2002 13:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CFP: "Innovating Medicine", Manchester, July 11-13, 2003

Call for papers:
Society for the Social History of Medicine ˇV Summer Conference 2003

Innovating Medicine: medical technologies in historical perspective

To be held at the Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine
University of Manchester, July 11-13, 2003.

Modern medicine and medical technologies are inseparable. The rhetoric of
medical progress continues to dominate media announcements of medical
discoveries such as new drugs for AIDS patients or potential cures for
cancer. The use of technologies such as hip replacements and artificial
lenses, meanwhile, has become routine practice in industrialised countries.
Since the 1960s, however, new medical technologies have increasingly been
seen not only as opportunities but also as risky, something to worry about.
The recent debates about therapeutic cloning are but one example.

While some think that the ˇĄgolden ageˇ¦ of modern medicine may be over,
universities make great efforts to connect the production of knowledge with
the production of commodities. It has become fashionable to think about new
technologies as innovations, as products for a market. But how new is this
perspective, and how specific to current medical debates? With this
conference we want to investigate medical innovations from a historical
perspective. We invite abstracts on medical technologies not only in a
narrow sense ˇV new diagnostic and therapeutic tools, prostheses, kits and
apparatuses ˇV but also in a wider sense: the material cultures of hospitals
and techno-medicine, that left their marks on medical culture, not only in
the 19th and 20th centuries. We are interested in the social shaping of
technologies, but also of the responses to technologies.

We would be interested in abstracts that address issues such as the
following:

"X the material cultures of medicine and medical science
"X medical systems and practices
"X discourses of innovation and progress
"X national systems of innovation and marketing
"X medical devices and tools
"X diagnostic and therapeutic technologies
"X the transfer of technologies into different cultural contexts
"X prostheses
"X pharmaceutical innovation
"X reproductive technologies
"X research and development in history
"X risk
"X industry-university relationships
"X innovators
"X failures
"X policy and technical assessment
"X experimentation and ethical considerations
"X medical technology in non-western countries
"X medical technology and knowledge transfer
"X intellectual property and patenting

Please send your abstract of no more than 500 words by October 31, 2002, to
Julie Anderson or Carsten Timmermann,
Wellcome Unit and Centre for the History of Science, Technology and
Medicine, University of Manchester, Maths Tower, Oxford Road, Manchester
M13 9PL.
Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Phone: +44-161-275 275 5947 or +44-161-275 275 7950
Fax: +44-161-275 275 5699
Early expressions of interest would be appreciated.
Please contact us if you would like to organise a session.
For information and updates, please visit our website at
http://www.chstm.man.ac.uk/events/innovation.htm