POETRYETC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

POETRYETC Home

POETRYETC  2002

POETRYETC 2002

"Jacket 16: still going strong!"

John Tranter <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:22:17 +1100

Dear friends:
There has been a little misunderstanding about Jacket magazine on the talk
circuits of the Net, which is entirely my fault. Announcing Jacket 16
recently, I said:
_______________________

Announcing (well, pre-announcing) Jacket 16,
due to close in March 2002  --

...another Special Giant Bumper Issue, again, already:

        http://www.jacket.zip.com.au/jacket16/index.html
_______________________

When I said "due to close in March 2002", I didn't mean that Jacket was
going to close -- heaven forbid! I meant that number 16 was going to close
-- that is, I would stop uploading new material to it in mid-March 2002 --
and I would get to work on number 17. And so on.

In fact I have been uploading bits and pieces to all the Jacket  issues up
to number 20, due to close -- whoops, I mean due to be *published* -- in
December 2002. You can reach them all from the links at the top of the
Jacket homepage, and at the top of every Jacket issue's Contents page.

I have no plans to close Jacket.
And I promise to think more clearly in future!!

In the meantime, Jacket 16 has been growing bit by bit:
_______________________

Angel Hair magazine: The Sixties and Seventies
A sampler of writing selected by Jacket editor John Tranter from the
630-page Granary Books anthology of material from the collection of Angel
Hair magazine and books edited by Lewis Warsh and Anne Waldman between 1966
and 1978. Another thirty pages of poetry and prose will be made available
as permissions come in. So far we have:

Introduction — Anne Waldman
Introduction — Lewis Warsh
John Ashbery, The Hod Carrier
Bill Berkson, Sheer Strips
Ted Berrigan, from To Clear the Range
Ted Berrigan, Two prose poems
Ted Berrigan, For You
Edwin Denby, ‘Out of Bronx subway...’
Dick Gallup, Guard Duty
Lee Harwood, The Seaside
Tony Towle, Poem (‘The lead drains...’)
_______________________

Feature: Joe Brainard, 1942­1994
        From Pressed Wafer:
Bill Corbett, Introduction
Anselm Berrigan, ‘I remember hearing Joe read’
Lee Ann Brown, ‘Joe Over Easy’
Tom Carey, ‘Joe B.’
Maxine Chernoff, ‘Sonnet: Some Things I Miss About Joe’
Tom Clark, ‘My Joe Brainards’
Elaine Equi, ‘A Freshly Painted Poem’
Paul Hoover, ‘Winter (Mirror)’
Nathan Kernan, ‘Premonition’
Wayne Koestenbaum, ‘Two Little Elegies for Joe Brainard’
David Lehman, ‘For Joe Brainard’
Ange Mlinko, ‘Boston Flower Market’
Eileen Myles, ‘Worst Seat in the House’
Charles North, ‘Romantic Note 1’
Jerome Sala, ‘I’m Glad I Don’t Understand the Writing of Joe Brainard’
David Trinidad, ‘9 Cigarettes’
        Other material:
Bill Berkson: Working with Joe
Kristin Prevallet interviews Kenward Elmslie
Kristin Prevallet Joe Brainard & Poetry
_______________________

Overland magazine feature -- Guest Editor: Pam Brown

        Prose:
Pam Brown: Introduction
Ken Bolton reviews New and Selected Poems, by Tony Towle
Murray Edmond: No Paragraphs (Meditations on Noh, Poetry, Theatre and the
Avant-garde)

        Poems:
Maxine Chernoff
Gillian Conoley
Lidija Cvetkovic
Mary di Michele
Linh Dinh
Laurie Duggan
Michael Farrell
Denis Gallagher
Jane Gibian
Noelle Kocot
Bronwyn Lea
Michele Leggott
Kate Lilley
Rachel Loden
Geraldine McKenzie
Eileen Myles
Ted Nielsen
Alice Notley
Brendan Ryan
Ron Silliman
Sam Wagan Watson
_______________________

Feature: New Zealand
-- Smoking Jacket — Philip Mead reviews the Big Smoke anthology, and books
by Michele Leggott and David Howard
-- Terence Diggory: The Red Wheelbarrow Goes Global — The Value of the
Local in William Carlos Williams and Postmodern Art  (featuring the art of
German Wolfgang Kaiser and the video art of New Zealander Bridget Sutherland)
-- Peter Robinson reviews Bill Manhire

        Poems:
-- Alan Brunton: In the Wilderness of Being
-- Janet Charman: Two Poems
-- Murray Edmond: Three Ballads
-- Michele Leggott: milk and honey taken far far away (i)
-- Pooja Mittal: Three poems
-- Ian Wedde: Epistle: to John Dickson
-- Yang Lian: Two poems
-- Mark Young: 3 Poems
_______________________

Ed Dorn: Epilogue ­ The Last Range -- Excerpt from Tom Clark’s biography of
Ed Dorn
_______________________

Interviews

Kent Johnson interviews Eliot Weinberger
Toh Hsien Min interviews Bob Perelman
John Tranter interviews Chris Emery, of Salt Publications
Nina Zivancevic in Paris interviews Jerome Rothenberg
_______________________

Memoir: George Evans: A Working Boy’s Whitman: ‘...one must question how it
could be that a man who lived with his eyes and heart wide open, could have
so little to say about certain matters that truly contradicted his notions
of liberty and freedom.’
_______________________

Sister Sites: Ram Devineni interviews Ravi Shankar, editor of Drunken Boat
_______________________

Michael Hrebeniak: — In Memoriam Fielding Dawson, 1930­2002
_______________________

Reviews:
-- Aaron Belz reviews I Used to Be Ashamed of My Striped Face, by Mike Topp
-- Aaron Belz reviews Understanding Objects, by Vincent Katz
-- Tom Hibbard reviews Strange Things Begin to Happen When a Meteor Crashes
into the Arizona Desert, by Michael Basinski
-- Kevin Gallagher reviews All Prose, by William Corbett
-- Tom Hibbard reviews HEKA, by Michael Basinski
-- Mark Neely reviews Mary Jo Bang and Ange Mlinko
-- Philip Nikolayev reviews Michael Palmer and Brian Henry
-- Larry Sawyer reviews Poems From the Akashic Record by Ira Cohen
-- Larry Sawyer reviews Goofbook: for Jack Kerouac by Philip Whalen
-- Mark Scroggins reviews The Shrubberies by Ronald Johnson

Poems: Miekal And / Johannes Beilharz  /  Maria Damon / Sharon Dolin /
Chris Emery / Edwin Honig / Rebecca Lu Kiernan  / Pura López-Colomé / Jeni
Olin / Peter Porter / Spencer Selby / Andrzej Sosnowski

There's more to come, too, including a special feature on Tom Raworth, and
other bits and pieces.

... thanks for your support. Enjoy!

                                John Tranter