POETRYETC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

POETRYETC Home

POETRYETC  2002

POETRYETC 2002

RANT

Patrick Herron <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 May 2002 22:55:25 -0400

My rant on being nice to Americans -

Yes, this is a rant.  Forgive me if it offends anyone.

As an American, specifically as a native Philadelphian, I think Lawrence is
right on.  He did not mean to slander us, or, at least, not all of us.
There are some of us here in America, perhaps only a wee few, who know about
the sort of people Lawrence is talking about.  America is full of people
"talkin' 'bout freedom, speakin' 'bout liberty," people who are in reality
nothing but slaves to a bunch of criminals.  Besides, I was the first one
who put forth the "Philadelphia hypothesis."  I'm talking about MY family at
risk.

Nothing would surprise me...my US government is run by irrepressible
hegemons and criminals.  Between Cheney, Bush, (what a pair, Dick and Bush,
won't pull out 'till they've gone all the way) and Condosleeza Rice you've
got millions dead in Iraq and Timor, before they ever came to office.  In
Central Africa.  Brown & Root, Halliburton, Chevron, Unocal, Enron, the
Carlysle Group (chaired now by John Major, working with fellow scum like
James Baker and Frank Carlucci).  As Governor of Texas, Bush tried to give
Lockheed Martin exclusive control over the state welfare system before
Clinton stopped him.  Lynne Cheney, Dick's wife, is on the payroll at
Lockheed Martin.  Lockheed Martin alone receives over $12 billion annually
from the US Federal Government for defense contracts.  And 9-11 looks very
sketchy--stand-down orders from the 113th fighter wing over DC during the
attacks, evidence of cover-up, a trail of documentation showing that the
Bush administration was warned at the very least but continued to act
completely surprised afterwards ("was it the terrorists," Bush said, not
"was it some terrorists" or "were they terrorists"), and the "trifecta"
comments by George Bush.  "Cui bono?"  Bush answered that question himself,
not on network television, but at GOP fundraisers.  "I hit the trifecta."
Scum.  His kingdom for a hearse.

Lawrence's sarcasm is absolutely warranted.  I see quite clearly his point,
once I got past my own irrational emotional attachments.  Our politicians
here in America speak so frequently in the name of freedom (e.g., Bush's
speech on Cuba this week) yet work against that very idea with every ounce
of energy they posess (e.g., attack Afghanistan without rational
justification, or, steal an election).

If this hurts my fellow Americans, well, tough.  Their lack of pain in
avoiding this painful subject is the reason we're all suffering from this
crap here in America--the fading civil liberties, the extreme exploitation
of the tax base for military/corporate interests, the looting of all social
support systems, the destruction of public education, the explosion of the
prison industry and the so-called "international war against drugs," the
institutionalized military-corporate propaganda system built into the media,
the suffocating forces all of these things exert on the arts and creativity
in general.  Is that enough?  What about people in SUVs gouging themselves
and the environment in the name of credit, kids running around with guns
shooting each other?   The trickle down of these ugly economics empties out
into the ocean of childhood, and we're training these kids and arming them
so that they can come to your town soon!  Jawohl.  Maybe they'll be called
the "Tee Shirts."  And I haven't even really touched on the international
exploitation....allende and letelier, che, patrice lumumba and the belgian
congo airlift, maquiladora industries and mercury in the streets, genocide
in rwanda and zaire, 20 years of civil war in angola, arming both extremist
palestinians and extremist Israelis, Plan Colombia.

International TT International Tief

One of the latest developments here is a new push for gun reform...folks in
the Bush administration want to still permit individuals to possess guns and
buy guns, but prevent anyone in an organized militia group from possessing
arms.  Of course, this is the exact opposite idea that the founding fathers
wrote into the Constitution, the right to bear arms in order to form a
militia for defense from tyrrany and exploitation, not the right to keep a
handgun under the pillow.  But gun sales matter more than public safety or
preventing the government from direct acts of tyrrany.

In June, 2000, it was announced that Secretary of Commerce William Daley was
resigning his post to become AL GORE'S campaign manager. A few days later,
it was announced that PRESIDENT CLINTON had named NORMAN MINETA his choice
for the new Secretary of Commerce.

Before being named Secretary of Commerce, NORMAN MINETA - a former
California congressman - was an EXECUTIVE and LOBBYIST for LOCKHEED MARTIN!
In January, 2001, President GEORGE W. BUSH (R) named NORMAN MINETA (D) as
his SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION.

On September 11, 2001, under the watch of NORMAN MINETA, four U.S. airliners
were hijacked.

On October 27, 2001, LOCKHEED MARTIN was awarded the largest military
contract in the history of our country.  $200 billion.

Cui bono?

Just one of many many factors.

America is now responsible for over 40% of the world's annual military
spending.  40%!  The American people are sleeping through this and just
opening their pockets wide to these fuckers who sit around trying to figure
out how to increase those numbers.  And the American people bitch about the
1/4th of 1 cent they each spend on the arts.  If that hurts Americans then
let's hurt us some more.  We're literally a loaded weapon.  As a country
quite clearly we're dangerous.  If we don't hurt and change, everyone else
will continue to get hurt.

Best,
Patrick