PHD-DESIGN  2002

PHD-DESIGN 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Design and future needs - what happened to the Papanek-way?

"Lubomir S. Popov" <[log in to unmask]>

Lubomir S. Popov

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:51:48 -0500

text/plain

I probably would not tell you something new, but the way the tread goes
indicates that it might be useful to mention the following. At the time
Papanek initiated his movement, there was a paralel initiative(s) in the
domain of architectural design and urban planning.

In the domain of building design there is a whole field concerned with the
social implications of design projects. It is usually referred to as
Environment and Behavior (and its journal) and its professional association
is Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA).     This is in the
USA. In EU the sister organization is IAPS and in Japan and the Pacific --
PAPER. There are also several smaller association in US and the Pacific
with a focus on Culture and Environment. They also draw upon the same
constituency that supports EDRA, IAPS, and PAPER.

There is also the discipline of Environmental Psychology which emerges at
the same time, by almost the same people. Related journals are J. of
Environmental Psyc and Environment and Planning (with four different
branches: A,
B, C, and D). It was at the time of Papanek. Evidently, in the 1960's and
70's there were social conditions for initiating such movement. The
movement stalled shortly after the beginning of the 80's. pferdomnibus

If you are interested in examples from the domains of architecture and
urban planning, you can find a lot there. It is just a matter of effort.
For example, there are publications about the social implications of the
housing projects in US and Sweden. It is mostly about the mechanisms by
which big housing developments for low-income people foster anomie,
anarchy, and social unrest. There are many studies on the impact of mass
transit (starting with the) on urban planning and socio-environmental urban
phenomena. (e.g. Kevin Lynch in the 60's and 80's)

However, that staff might not be of much use if you are working with
examples from industrial design and technology. My interpretation is that
Jean is looking for good case studies describing in detail the social
implications of (industrial) design objects. This is interesting to me
although my focus is in the domain of built environment.