Ambient is part of the new future?

"Joel S. Bachar" <[log in to unmask]>

Curating digital art - www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/

Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:15:02 -0700

Hello there...I have been quiet for a few months but I wanted to put in some
thoughts on this subject.

Microcinema as a concept and as my organization is ALL about showing
alternative work in alternative spaces. Those spaces can be obvious ones
like - well - microcinemas - or they can be "venues" such as the sides of
buildings, Jumbotron screens, monitors in airports, or in the dressing room
of the Prada store in NY (its true) - or on a PDA - and so forth.

Why should we as artists and curators limit ourselves to ANY venue? To any
exhibition space or surface?

Do curators of galleries or museums see Public Art as the Ambient Video of
the visual arts world? Perhaps...

Since the beginning of our Independent exposure programme seven years ago,
we have always shown so called "ambient video" before our programme as
people are entering the venue and it works quite well.

I got my start in the world of Rave parties - showing ambient video on the
walls of underground venues...as I am sure you are all well aware -there are
many artists who got their start in a similar world and they are knowing
creating incredible performances based in ambient video mixing...

i don't see ambient video as a dumbed down replacement for any type of
narrative film or video...instead I see it as an important outlet for
artistic expression in the media arts world.

right now i have music playing in the background - would it matter to you if
i told you what it was specifically? would you judge wether or not this
music is playing because i have a short attention span? would you suggest
that this particular album is best suited for another time and place than
the one I am in now? It is likely you would not...the fact remains that i
chose this particular music due to my particular mood and although I AM
hearing this music, i would suggest i am not actively listening to ONLY this
music - i am doing other things such as writing this diatribe to all of you.
Thus this music remains "ambient."

I would just as soon put on a DVD of visual elements created by any number
of artists around the world making this work.

Please check out Addictive TV at www.addictive.com
this troupe got their start in the underground dance world as well and they
have since managed to create two very good DVD's of their "ambient video" -
i will warn you that they adamently corrected me when i called their work
"eye candy" because they felt it cheapened their artistic process - which i
agree with! I have had a problem with trying to find a better term for what
we are calling Ambient Video but until I am able to find a better term for
"it" _ i hope that we as curators will embrace this medium - find venues and
outlets for it - and will program it as an appropriate and exciting
expression of the medium.

I will close with suggesting that ambient video is the perfect art form for
DVD's and that I feel we will see an explosion of DVDs complete with
beautiful ambient video.

if you are an ambient video enthusiast and/or artist, i hope you will send
your work to me for inclusion in our Independent Exposure programme.

I look forward to what you all have to say about this subject.

Best
Joel

Joel S. Bachar
Microcinema, Inc.
531 Utah Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
415-864-0660
www.microcinema.com