Re: curating critically

mathew kabatoff <[log in to unmask]>

Curating digital art - www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:36:26 -0800

text/plain

I think that the points you make Steve, are quite valid. I do however have
to disagree with your comment that the curator is a "function not a person",
even though there are in fact positions of fluidity, and the production of
discourse that can only be carried out through curatorial functions. I do
agree that 'context' is key to the operation of the curator, whether it
happens that an artist is able to represent and frame their compatriots
within a gallery space, or if a curator, like Paul or Ippolito is able to
both engage in the rigor of museum programming, catalogue essay writing, and
a practice.

What I would argue, and I think that this is one of the reasons for the
forum, is that the 'person' is directly linked to the 'imagination' of
future curatorial practice that attempts, alongside artists, historians, and
critics to represent this time, this articulatable space. Manetas could be
seen as a somewhat useful example, embodying the role as
artist/curator/media centre director, as he not only has a painting/flash
animation practice, but did start up the 'electronic orphanage', and as you
mentioned (which I didn't know) is curating a "whitney" show. The problem
however with Manetas, is that he defaults on the side of artworld fashion,
corporatism and therefore conservatism. Even though he wears the mask of the
multi-tasker, the model that he is presenting (at least in terms of a vision
of new media work/painting that he is bringing into the standard operations
of the art world gallery system) takes on the 'ethic' of the media-lab, but
is certainly 'not' a hotbed of innovation. I would stick my neck even a
little further to say that, the reason it is 'not' a hotbed of innovation,
is because of the 'person' and not the role. Obviously the 'role' is
exciting, having a medialab in...Los Angeles...in where ever, having access
to prime showing space...is really amazing. The thing is that Manetas is the
'person' who is directing that production, is the 'person' who is directing
what discourse is produced around both the artwork and the ethos of the lab,
and is the 'person' who takes this representation to more traditional others
in the artworld. I think that the vision presented by Manetas, lacks
imagination.

Across Chunk-King Road however (and you are close to this group of people as
well Steve) there is a space called C-Level. C-Level is a media lab founded
I believe one year ago by Eddo Stern, Mark Allen and a number of other x-Cal
Arts grads who remained in LA <http://c-level.cc>. C-Level, apart from the
fact that it was really started out of the desire to have a showing space
for these artists, has presented a certain type of curatorial vision, the
showing and hosting of critically minded media makers in their space. They
have help small symposia including some of the BIT people, have shown
recently produced documentaries and had some interesting video game
intervention performance, like the "Tekken Torture Tournament". Apart form
this practice, because again we have a similar form, and we have a similar
role, the directed vision behind the project is radically different as it
provides both intellectual and financial space to produce interesting
projects. Because the distributive network is disrupted that represents the
general ladder of the artworld, there is a bit of room to move.

I think that this is vital, to new media production and is what essentially
marks a difference in the productive zones of practice (no temporary
business here!! ;)). Meaning that the new media world, and yeah I do
acknowledge the thin membrane between art world interface, but that the new
media world has had, finding now even greater interest and resources, media
lab sites, which are active. Thus binding the curator/producer/director to
what is produced in the space, and how it is represented to outside
discourses. Because there is a concentration, both on the part of the artist
and the curator, a closer dialogue can be produced, where showing space is
not the 'end all', but rather a site for convergences of the discourses of
production, criticism, history and presentation. I think that these zones,
as temporary as they may be, offer some imagination for future practice,
which may or may not be unusual in its form, but certainly unusual in how it
is carried out.