LIS-EDUC  2002

LIS-EDUC 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

help enquiry: quick response questionnaire

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:56:37 +0000

text/plain

Dear All,
I am a research student conducting this survey with librarians and
product designers. The following questionnaire takes max. 15 min (please

respond spontaneously-read only once the instruction and do the items).
Please let me know if you would like a report on the results of the
survey.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH-YOUR HELP IS INVALUABLE!!
Marina Economidou
Email: [log in to unmask]
p.s. the questionnaire is available and in other formats if you prefer
it e-mailed as an attachment.
                                Introduction
This is a questionnaire to find out the way in which certain events in
our society affect different people. How do you view your current (or
most recent) managerial/supervisory approach and how would you present
yourself consistently in the long run. Please
answer all items carefully but do not spend too much time on any one
item. Try to respond to each item independently and
do not be influenced by your previous choice.This is a measure
of personal belief and there are no right or wrong answers. Your views
are invaluable and confidential.

Q   Each item consists of a pair lettered a or b. Please select only one
statement of each pair
(write A or B next to the statement) which you strongly believe to be
the case as far as you are
concerned.
  1.
a. Children get into trouble because their parents punish them too
much.
b.  The trouble with most children nowadays is that their parents
are too easy with them.

  2.
a.  Many of the unhappy things in people’s lives are partly due to
bad luck.
b.  Peoples misfortunes result from the mistakes they make.

  3.
a.  One major reason we have wars is because people are not
interested enough  in politics.
b.  There will always be wars, no matter how hard people try to
prevent them.

  4.
a.  In the long run people get the respect they deserve in this
world.
b.  Unfortunately an individual’s worth often passes unrecognised
no matter how hard he tries.

  5.
a.  The idea that teachers are unfair to students is non-sense.
b.  Most students don’t realise the extent to which their grades
are influenced by accidental actions.

  6.
a.  Without the right breaks one cannot be an effective leader.
b.  Capable people who fail to become leaders have not taken
advantage of their opportunities.

  7.
a.  No matter how hard you try some people just don’t like you.
b.  People who cant get others to like them don’t understand how
to get along with others.

  8.
a.  Heredity plays the major role in determining one’s personality.
b.  It is one’s experiences in life which determine what they are
like.

 9.
a.  I have often found that what is going to happen will happen.
b.  Trusting to fate has never turned out as well for me as making
a decision to take a definite course of action.

10.
a.  In the case of the well-prepared student there is rarely such a
thing as an unfair test.
b. Many times exam questions tend to be so unrelated to
coursework that studying is really useless.

11.
a.  Becoming a success is a matter of hard work, luck has little or
nothing to do with it.
b. Getting a good job depends mainly on being in the right place
at the right time.

12.
a.  The average citizen can have an influence in government
decisions.
b.  This world runs by a  few people in power & there is not much
a little guy can do about it.

13.
a.  When I make plans I am almost certain that I can make them work.
b. It is not always wise to plan too far ahead because many
things turn out to be a matter of good/bad fortune.

14.
a.  There are certain people who are just no good.
b.  There is some good in everybody.

15.
a.  In my case getting what I want has little or nothing to do with
luck.
b. Many times we might just as well decide what to do by flipping
a coin.

16.
a.  Who gets to be the boss depends on who was lucky enough to be in
the right place first.
b. Getting people to do the right thing depends upon ability,
luck has little or nothing to do with it.

17.
a.  As far as world affairs are concerned, most of us are the
victims of forces we can’t understand nor control.
b. By taking an active part in political and social affairs the
people can control world events.

18.
a.  Most people don’t realise the extent to which their lives are
controlled by accidental happenings.
b.  There really is no such thing as “luck”.

19.
a.  One should always be willing to admit mistakes.
b.  It is usually best to cover up mistakes.

20.
a.   It is hard whether or not a person really likes you.
b.  How many friends you have depends upon how nice a person you
are.

21.
a.  In the long run the bad things that happen to us are balanced by
the good ones.
b. Most misfortunes are the result of luck of ability, ignorance,
laziness or all three.

22.
a.  With enough effort we can wipe out political corruption.
b.  It is difficult for people to have much control over the
things politicians do in office.

23.
a.  Sometimes I can’t understand how teachers arrive at the grades
they give.
b.  There is a direct connection between how hard I study and the
grades I get.

24.
a.  A good teacher expects people to decide for themselves what they
should do.
b. A good leader makes it clear to everybody what their jobs are.

25.
a.  Many times I feel that I have little influence over the things
that happen to me.
b.  It is impossible for me to believe that chance or luck plays
an important role in my life.

26.
a.  People are lonely because they don’t try to be friendly.
b.  There is not much use in trying too hard to please people, if
they like you, they like you.

27.
a.  There is too much emphasis on athletics in high school.
b.  Team sports are an excellent way to build character.

28.
a.  What happens to me is my own doing.
b.  Sometimes I feel that I don’t have enough control over the direction
my life is taking.

29.
a.  Most of the time I can’t understand why politicians behave the way
they do.
b.  In the long run the people are responsible for bad government on a
national as well as a local level.

Q  Please  think of your current (or most recent) manager, or
supervisor, or  boss (think of one person only) and for each statement
as suitable to your
situation please write next to the statement one of the following 5
capitalised responses: NEVER
(NN), NOT OFTEN (NO), SOMETIMES (S), FAIRLY OFTEN (FO), VERY OFTEN (VO)

Makes me feel good to be around him/her.

S/he commands respect from everyone.

S/he is a model for me to follow.

In my mind s/he symbolises success and accomplishment.

I trust his/her capacity to overcome any obstacle.

S/he is an inspiration to us.

Makes me proud to be associated with him/her.

Has a special gift for seeing what is important for me to consider.

Increases my optimism for the future.

Inspires loyalty to the organisation.

I have complete faith in him/her.

Excites us with her/his visions of what we may be able to accomplish if
we work together.

Encourages me to express my ideas and opinions.

Gives me a sense of overall purpose.

Encourages understanding of points of view of other members.

Has a sense of mission which s/he transmits to me.

Makes everyone around him/her enthusiastic about assignments.

Is satisfied when I meet the agree-upon standards for good work.

Makes me feel we reach our goals without him/her if we have to.

I earn credit with him/her for doing my job well.

Finds out what I want and tries to help me get it.

Count on him/her to express appreciation when I do a good job.

Gives personal attention to members who seem neglected.

Treats each subordinate individually.

Has provided me with new ways of looking at things, which used to be a
puzzle for me.

His/her ideas have forced me to rethink some of my own ideas, which I
had never questioned before.

Enables me to think about old problems in new ways.

Assures me I can get what I personally want  for my efforts.

Talks a lot about bonuses, promotions for good work.

I decide what I want; s/he shows me how to get it.

Whenever I feel it necessary, I can negotiate with him/her about what I
can get for what I accomplish.

Tells me what I should do if I want to be rewarded for my efforts.

Gives me what I want in exchange for my support for him/her.

There is close agreement between what I am expected to put into the
group effort and what I can get out of it.

Is content to let me continue my job in the same way as always.

Asks me no more than what is absolutely necessary to work.

Only tells me what I have to know to do my job.

While things work OK s/he does not try to change anything.

While the old ways work s/he is satisfied with my performance.

It is OK if I take initiatives but s/he does not encourage me to do so.

Q  For each item imagine that you have to present yourself in that way
consistently, for a  long
period of time. Please write one of the following 5 capitalised
indicate the degree of difficulty such a task would entail for you: VERY
HARD (VH), HARD (H),
LITTLE EASY (LE), EASY (E),
VERY EASY (VE)

Has original ideas.

Produces many ideas.

Is stimulating.

Copes with several new ideas at the same time.

Will always think of something when stuck.

Would sooner create than improve.

Has fresh perspectives on old problems.

Often risks doing things differently.

Likes to vary set routines at a moments notice.

Prefers to work on one problem at a time.

Can stand out in disagreement against the group.

Needs the stimulation of frequent change.

Prefers changes to occur gradually.

Is thorough.

Masters all details painstakingly.

Is methodical and systematic.

Enjoys detailed work.

Is not always pedantic.

Is consistent.

Imposes strict order on matters within own control.

Fits readily into “the system”.

Conforms.

Readily agrees with the team at work.

Never seeks to break or bend the rules.

Is prudent when dealing with authority.

Likes the protection of precise instructions.

Is predictable.

Prefers colleagues who never “rock the boat”.

Likes bosses and work patterns which are consistent.

Works without deviation in a prescribed way.

Holds back ideas until obviously needed.

Q  Demographic information for statistical purposes only.
Female ?     Male ?

Age:    18–24 ?     25–34 ?     35–44 ?     45–54 ?     55–64 ?
65+?

Job:

Number of months or years in the same job:

Industry:

Qualifications:

If self-employed, how many staff?

If retired, give previous occupation:

If unemployed, give previous occupation:

Annual income before tax:        Up to £10000 ?
                                                £11000-£20000 ?
                                                £21000-£30000 ?
                                                 £31000-£40000 ?
                                                 £41000 and over ?

Marital status:      Married/cohabiting ?                     Single ?
                            Separated/divorced/widowed ?

                          THANK YOU VERY MUCH!