Re: Consume!

Richard Bailey <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:01:32 +0100

A while ago I worked for another Chartered Institute (now the Institute
of Financial Services) which provided qualifications and development
support to the financial services industry. Bankers, financial advisors
and mortgage advisors are all required either morally or legally to
maintain some level of professional development post-chartership. I
believe there is something similar for Chartered Accountants. Now I work
for a law firm and solicitors are required to amass a set number of CPD
points each year to retain their license to practice.

Now love them or loath them, these professions all garner a certain
amount of respect, as does their route to professional qualification,
and it seems that perhaps something lacking from the info pro
chartership is any concrete post-chartership CPD requirement. We have
our own CPD scheme in my place of work, and it contributes to end-of
year appraisal, but it's not the same as something industry-led. I know
people who chartered years ago and are now quite frankly well adrift of
current practice and standards - not a good advertisement for the
profession.

Surely this is something that could be developed by CILIP (and excuse
my ignorance if this is the case already)? We can moan about the low
status of our profession, along with all the trappings such as low pay
etc., but unless we have a more rigorous method of measurement and
post-charter maintenance of standards, we don't really have much of a
leg to stand on. Let's give the librarians who keep up-to-date some
recognition for their efforts, and give a kick up the backside to those
who charter and sit on their laurels.

What does anyone else think?

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Bailey
Information Systems Administrator
Theodore Goddard
150 Aldersgate Street
London
EC1A 4EJ
Tel: 020 7880 5781
Fax: 020 7606 4390

This is not a financial communication. Neither this nor any other communication from this firm is an invitation or inducement to any person to engage in investment activity. Some of our legal services relate to investments to which the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 applies. We are not authorised under that act, but we are regulated by the Law Society and we can undertake certain activities in relation to investments which are limited in scope and incidental to our legal services or which may reasonably be regarded as a necessary part of our legal services.

whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify the originator immediately.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

www.theodoregoddard.co.uk