ENGLIT-VICTORIAN  2002

ENGLIT-VICTORIAN 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: VICTORIA Digest - 19 Sep 2002 to 20 Sep 2002 (#2002-259)

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:31:03 +0100

text/plain

----- Forwarded message from Automatic digest processor
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 00:00:26 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 19 Sep 2002 to 20 Sep 2002 (#2002-259)
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>

Topics of the day:

  1. Teaching Mary Barton--a question (3)
  2. Tennyson's Ulysses (6)
  3. FW: Teaching Mary Barton--a question
  4. Senior position

Date:    Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:42:41 +0100
From:    Chris Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Teaching Mary Barton--a question

Hi!

>Every single
>one of my 13 freshmen said that they had absolutely expected that when
>Mary got into the small boat with the strange gruff sailors, she would
>be set upon and raped.

I may be missing something here, but are you sure your students' response to
this scene is based purely on class?  We all have "don't take lifts from
strangers" hammered into us from earliest childhood - the class of the
person(s) giving the lift has nothing to do with it!

After all, would any women on this list be happy to accept a lift from a
group of male strangers if she was travelling alone?  It's exactly what
police, the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, etc are continually warning women against.

Readers have the same reaction when Alec d'Urberville "rescues" Tess from
her workmates, and Alec's distinctly upper-class.

Given that narratives of sexual danger were not exactly unknown in Victorian
texts, I wonder whether some of Gaskell's Victorian readers would have had a
similar reaction?  I suppose it's even just about possible that she set the
scene up that way deliberately and enjoyed confounding readers' expectations
about men and/or the working classes.

All the best
Chris

Chris Willis - London Metropolitan University
http://www.chriswillis.freeserve.co.uk/

"Every gun that is fired, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius
of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953
www.stopwar.org.uk

------------------------------

>>one of my 13 freshmen said that they had absolutely expected that when
>>Mary got into the small boat with the strange gruff sailors, she would
>>be set upon and raped.
>>

>I may be missing something here, but are you sure your students' response to
>this scene is based purely on class?  We all have "don't take lifts from
>strangers" hammered into us from earliest childhood - the class of the
>person(s) giving the lift has nothing to do with it!
>
>After all, would any women on this list be happy to accept a lift from a
>group of male strangers if she was traveling alone?  It's exactly what
>police, the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, etc are continually warning women against.
>
>Readers have the same reaction when Alec d'Urberville "rescues" Tess from
>her workmates, and Alec's distinctly upper-class.
>
>Given that narratives of sexual danger were not exactly unknown in Victorian
>texts, I wonder whether some of Gaskell's Victorian readers would have had a
>similar reaction?  I suppose it's even just about possible that she set the
>scene up that way deliberately and enjoyed confounding readers' expectations
>about men and/or the working classes.

I don't remember in my perusals of crime reports (while looking for
other things in the newspapers) accounts of gang rapes, and I don't know
how many Victorian readers would have expected one in MB.  Perhaps the
presence of so many witnesses for a capital crime was a deterrent, who
knows? Given the tenor of the melodrama, Alec d'Urberville's behavior
would have been much more predictable.

David Latané

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:35:04 -0400
From:    Meri-Jane Rochelson <[log in to unmask]>

I agree that fears instilled in today's students are likely to have spurred
this reaction to Mary Barton and the boatmen.  But Gaskell hints, too, that
Mary was putting herself in a situation where her moral status (for want of
a better term) might have been put into question, leading to unwanted sexual
attention.  The old man at the docks "eye[s] her from head to
foot"--ascertaining that she's virtuous, but apparently having at first
suspected otherwise, and the men on the boat suspect that Mary really just
wants "a last look at her sweetheart."  I think vague possibilities of
danger are suggested in the Liverpool episode, while Gaskell emphasizes how
Mary's
ennobling virtue and commitment to her goal have an affect on those who meet
her that makes the realization of such threat impossible.

It's this last part that the students missed, and it is clearly signaled, I
think.  Their extreme reaction may well have been fed by current fears more
than by their reading.  But it is also not entirely without a textual basis.

Meri-Jane Rochelson
Florida International University

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:01:30 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tennyson's Ulysses

As I am preparing to teach Tennyson, I am having difficulty with the first
line of Ulysses, "It little profits that an idle king".  How does this phrase
fit grammatically with the rest of the first verse paragraph?

It little profits that an idle king,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Match'd with an aged wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.

Abigail Burnham Bloom

Date:    Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:34:48 -0400
From:    "Rodrick, Anne B." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Teaching Mary Barton--a question

I sent this to David and meant to send it to the list--sorry!

Anne Rodrick
Assistant Professor of History
Wofford College