VICTORIA Digest - 15 Nov 2002 to 16 Nov 2002 (#2002-315) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:33:37 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 17 November 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 15 Nov 2002 to 16 Nov 2002 (#2002-315)

Topics of the day:

  1. Gas Lights
  2. Tattoos and the Victorian Body (10)
  3. 'Four-and-nine hat' (3)
  4. Scott's reading--query
  5. When were problem novels 'problem novels'?
  6. job postings

Date:    Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:20:36 -0500
From:    "Jan R. Reber" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Gas Lights

        Wolfgang Schivelbusch's _Disenchanted Night  The
Industrialization of Light in the Nineteenth Century_ covers the
introduction of gas lighting (and later electrification) in England and
includes detailed discussions of its psychological effects, including
its role in crime prevention. The chapter "The Street" concludes with
reference to Stevenson's analysis of the effect of light on crime. There
is also a useful bibliography.

Jan R. Reber  [log in to unmask]