Re: Introductions

Robin Clutterbuck <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:04:02 -0000

Hello

I'm Robin Clutterbuck, a consultant working in the field of learning in
museums and the historic environment.  I did an Art History degree and 8
years' teaching (and hundreds of trips to museums, galleries, castles and
the like - those were pre-National Curriculum days!).  My working experience
within the cultural sector has been as Education Officer at an historic site
and, since 1997, consultancy with a bewildering range of museums, agencies,
councils, churches and heritage sites.

In the last two years I have seen e-learning become a part of most museum
education contracts and my reason for joining the group is to keep an eye on
what is going on in the field (give us your URLs!) and to form contacts with
people engaged in the same line of work.

At the back of my mind is an unresolved question: assuming our experience of
the reality of an artefact or the historic environment can never be matched
through a computer screen, what is the best that 'e-learning' can achieve in
a museum context?  Let's hope this group begins to find some answers.

Robin Clutterbuck
White Rook Consultancy
The Castle
Seymour Road