JiscMail Logo

Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  2002

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: NHS Information Agency

Paul Robinson <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Jun 2002 21:52:38 +0100

text/plain

As my working week is evenly divided between General Practice and Health
Informatics, this discussion is right up my street. I could go on for ages,
but for the time being can I point to a report, from an RCGP standing group,
that covers some of these issues and make a couple (!) of brief points?

The first URL is for the whole report, the second to a section that I think
is pertinent.

http://www.schin.ncl.ac.uk/rcgp/scopeEPR/report/i-a-22.htm

http://www.schin.ncl.ac.uk/rcgp/scopeEPR/report/i-a322.htm#3.2%20Structure%2
0and%20representation%20of%20the%20EPR

General points:
1. One of the things with electronic records is that they have been
presented as being able to perform lots of different functions, such as the
narrative record as well as the reductionist coding that Bruce H is
referring to.
2. I think that some care is required when we use 'linear thinking' as a
pejorative. There are some situations in medicine where cause and effect are
directly linked (e.g. E coli: UTI: antibiotic).
3. There is also the issue of medium and message. Most computer programming
is linear, but then so are screenplays, scripts, novels (in the sense that
the text has a start and finish and it is important that all the symbols
that make up the text are in the right order).
4. I've been working on a project looking at computer use during the
consultation. I'm sure that the presence, and use of, an electronic
information source in the consulting room will alter clinicians' behaviour
and will alter the way we work: but not in the way that Bruce H thinks.
5. Many of the issues of health records (whatever the medium) come down to
the problem of trying to capture a complex interaction and represent the
essence of that in a way that can easily be communicated. Read codes (or
Snomed terms) are one way of approaching this, Trish Greenhaulgh's narrative
based medicine is another, significant moment audit (used by teachers of
consultation skills to undergraduates in Leeds and Leicester for instance)
is a third. What interests me is that they are all so different, but all
share the limitation of being incomplete.

Happy to continue this ;-)

Paul

Paul Robinson
General Practitioner, Scarborough