Help for BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP Archives

BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP Archives

BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP Home

BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP  2002

BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP 2002

Re: Upgrade from Blackboard Learning System Basic version to Fullversion

Jim Boone <[log in to unmask]>

Jim Boone <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:55:36 +0100

> Well first off note that Blackboard have quietly increased the
> hardware spec, e.g.:

Yeah, but this a silly spec, we looked at both Sun boxes and Intel, 450mhz and
700mhz are pretty old now, so you really need to apply some sense to what you
buy.  The need for 2 boxes is so that the application server doesn't suffer if
the db is very active, additionally, the number of 'active' users in their
documentation (aka "the book of lies") does _not_ reflect the number of hits
per minute as they suggest, but in fact, the number of entries of users in the
db.  Also, as opposed to some content delivery systems, the db server _only_
holds the db, all data is stored on the app server.  I tried several times to
get some idea from BB as to what hardware spec was needed, and they kept
sending me this out of date stuff.

We settled on 2 boxes, one with dual xeon 1400, 2 gig of ram and a 72gig mirror
for the db server, a dual xeon 2400 with 3 gig of ram and 36gb mirror and a
3*72gb raid 5 for the app server. They are on redhat 7.2. They shift like the
proverbial....

These costed out at just over 1/3 the cost of trying to buy an approximation of
their specification.

Jim

--
Jim Boone
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College

The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to lead
all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that
it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the
first place, and continues to do so today.

~Douglas Adams~