BRITARCH December 2001

Re: BAR going down the drain?

Dave Tooke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:11:31 -0000

I have followed this evolving thread with a little dismay.

The point surely is not whether Cremo is right or wrong, and I have no doubt
in my own mind that he is pretty much wrong, but whether he is able to state
his views freely, and to subject them to peer review.

Publication in BAR ensures that, at least.

There is an argument that views which are "beyond the pale" should not be
given houseroom in any serious publication, because such would give them a
false accreditation. I understand the point, but reject it. In my opinion it
is analogous to the banning of the broadcasting of the words of IRA
spokespeople by the Thatcher government. The suppression of such thoughts,
ideas and words simply lends them a sense of glamour, and prevents rational
rebuttal, and stops the rest of us from realising precisely what idiocy, and
in the case of terrorists what evil, these people are propounding.

Ideas are always best aired, examined, and if wrong shot down in flames.
Publication in a serious arena where the offending article can be examined
and refuted seems to be the best way of stopping silly ideas spreading.

Even if you despise everything Cremo says you should fight to the death for
his right to say it. Not a thought for which I take original credit - but
one by which I try to live.

Dave Tooke