BRITARCH December 2001

The archaeology of Silicon Valley

Gareth Talbot <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:24:42 -0000

Quite an unusual article on the BBC News site (transcript below), g

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1697000/1697295.stm

The impact of the dot.com boom and bust of 2000 on the hi-tech heart of the
US, Silicon Valley, has been captured in a new book.
In Artifacts: An Archaeologist's Year In Silicon Valley, Christine Finn of
the University of Oxford, UK, provides a snapshot of this turbulent period
during which people's fortunes could change overnight.
In her book, Dr Finn combined her journalistic background with traditional
archaeological training, to try to capture the fast pace of change in
Silicon Valley's material culture.
She first arrived in January 2000, at a time of optimism and multi-million
dollar deals. By the time she left Silicon Valley in December, the
atmosphere had changed completely, with companies and people living with the
aftershocks of the dot.com crash.
"There was an emperor's new clothes thing going on," said Dr Finn. "No one
wanted to believe the whole thing could crash. But it surely did."
"When I went back in April earlier this year, I wanted to hug everyone," she
said. "I got the impression it was a place that was very bruised.
"What you're seeing now is a microcosm of a society that really stretched
itself to the edge and is now recovering. There's a healing process going
on."
Holding onto the past
Silicon Valley, the stretch of land running south from San Francisco, is one
of the most intensely innovative enterprise zones in the world.
Including places like Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Stanford University and San
Jose, it has been at the forefront of the communications revolution.

By the end of her year there, Dr Finn felt there was a sense of what was
being lost and a realisation of the need to hold on to the past.
"In the last few years, there was a sense of getting rid of stuff, of just
keeping moving," she said.
"So the orchards disappear and everyone turns round and asks, where are the
orchards? You now have a heritage orchard, whereas before it was an
industry."
Material lost
This has led some in the Valley to set up their own small-scale museums, to
try to keep track of the fast-changing nature of the computer industry.
In an area where most of the time is spent thinking about the future, Dr
Finn encountered several people who have started collecting pieces of the
past so that future generations can look back and trace the origins of the
computer and follow its development.
Even during her work on the book, she found it sometimes hard to keep up
with the transient nature of Silicon Valley.
"Suddenly I realised a lot of things were disappearing in front of me," she
said.
"About 80% of the material that I recovered last year, I couldn't get now.
When I was in the Valley trying to contact people I had interviewed in the
book to let them know it was out, I was getting e-mails bouncing back. Their
e-mails didn't exist because their company didn't exist anymore."
As an archaeologist herself, Dr Finn believes Silicon Valley could present a
challenge for the archaeologists of the future.
"They'd find a lot of confusing things," she explained. "You wouldn't be
able to say everyone drove a particular type of car or lived in a particular
type of house, which is how we tend to interpret ancient cultures."
In fact, future students of the Silicon Valley of 2000 may completely
misinterpret the piles of computer chips found in this corner of the world.
"An archaeologist in 500 years' time, if they didn't have any other records
to go on, would wonder what on Earth was going on.
"Perhaps they would make something into a ritual site which wasn't a ritual
site, where people go and leave things to appease the gods of venture
capital."
Artifacts: An Archaeologist's Year In Silicon Valley is published by MIT
press

Gareth Talbot
Data Manager
Archaeological Investigations Project
School of Conservation Sciences (WG22)
Bournemouth University
Talbot Campus

t:   01202 595139
m: 07812586035
f:   01202 595255
e:  [log in to unmask]

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research."
Wilson Mizner (1876-1933)