BRITARCH  June 2001

BRITARCH June 2001

Trojan Horses [ longish ]

Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:44:06 EDT

   Wednesday  13 June 2001  17:30 GMT Daylight Time

   I have received a great deal of assistance from the List and trust
   that a note about my recent experiences may be of value to
   the community.
  Trojan Horses        Worms        TSR Viruses
  Javascript            Macro Viruses

  All strange terms prior to Friday the  25th May 2001 when in the
  early hours of the morning my Window of the World slammed Shut.
  The browser would not access any addresses on my Favourites List.

   I have a Dell Dimension XPS  T500   Windows 98 -Second Edition
   and assorted packages which assist my line of research.
   McAfee was in the Enable state   and  InoculateIT was installed
   some months ago and working.
   I acquired,and installed - Norton Clean Sweep recently.
   Just one Hard Disk   { C } ------  Browser   I E
   AOL is my ISP.
   On my desk was a CD and manual for Norton 2001.  Because
    it said Remove all other Anti Virus packages, I had put it on one
   side and  proposed to seek advice from a techie.-- Alas  too late  !!

    Switched Off and On again    Screen violet with box containing
    the following message :-
    Vet resident   Protection version  10.2.50
     C:\WINDOWS\INETD.EXE
     is Win32 Badtrans.13312.worm not restored.
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I telephoned my brother, somewhat of a techie, who lives many
    miles away  [  both of us are past the biblical figure   !!!!!!!!]
    He has 2 pcs and over the course of a week mirored mine.
     A very long investigation followed to see if there was a software
    solution. and to see if we could find out from whence it came
    and the identity of the sender

 We found :-
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERN32.EXE-WIN32.Badtrans.21882trojan

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hks.dll-WIN32.PSW.Hooker.trojan

 Eventually we were able by restarting Windows and dabbing
 F5  or F8 whilst it was loading, to get a DOS choice of a Safe Screen.

  We found that McAfee had passed it and InoculateIT had taken
  a note   !!    [ to be fair McAfee was probably out of date although
  I have tried many times to update / upgrade but have retired baffled.].

  We suspect the worm found a home in start up / restart and it first
  got going by disabling the Sound card some weeks before.

   We gave up on the 2nd June and retired to lay down quietly  in
   a darkened room,   muttering imprecations   !!!!

    I took the CPU to the ' menders ' on the 4th June and collected
    it on the 6th.   One techie spent 5 hours on the internet trying to
   crack this one     it doesnt have a name    they could not indentify
   the source       6 Files were affected.
   I manged to re-cable successfully and apart from a hic cup on the
   first full day   I am ' flying '  :>))

    To sum up :-  It seems that a Trojan placed a Worm in the Start up
    program or Registry and got at the sound card.
    It was perhaps a TSR   [a Terminate and stay resident virus.]

   As far as I know it was not passed to anyone on my list of addresses.
   I should say that for some time I have only accepted attachments from
   those correspondents I know.
   I am lucky and most grateful to have a brother with infinite patience
   and  understanding of the old geezers problems  !!!!

   Alan Dell       Edenbridge  Kent

ps.
   I found a paperback in Watermans :-
  Bigelows  Virus Troubleshooting    Pocket reference.
   I am now more familiar with the terms and possibilties.
   Needless to say that Norton 2001 is installed and working.