ARCH-AC-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCH-AC-UK Home

ARCH-AC-UK  June 2001

ARCH-AC-UK June 2001

New MA

Cat Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>

Aimed at 'grass-roots' exchange of information and ideas for 'joined-up' ac <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:59:01 +0100

Apologies for cross posting.

Although this might not seem of immediate relevance to you, I'm hoping that
you will be able to help me make some useful contacts.

We are offering a new taught MA in Performance Space and IT Modelling and
while this is aimed at a study of computer reconstructions in theatre
architecture, I hope that it might also be of interest to archaeology
graduates/ands.

We have encountered an unforeseen recruiting issue, that is all of our
applicants have come from a computer background (it seems that they don't
teach theatre history like they used to!). It's not that our applicants are
academically weak, it's just that there seems to be a strong tendency
towards just wanting to learn the software rather than a genuine interest
in computer reconstruction as an interrogative tool.

I would like to stress that I am not coming to your list as a last resort,
our intention was always to offer this course to students from any subject
background who showed a genuine interest. The academic content and case
studies are inevitably of a theatrical nature, but the focus of the MA is
really on the techniques, problems and application of computer modelling in
historical reconstruction.

The MA if offered jointly by the Universities of Kent and Warwick and many
of the teaching staff (at both sites) are closely involved with THEATRON, a
Warwick based group concerned with virtual reality and multimedia for
heritage clients. Current and completed projects include  the theatres at
Athens, Messene and Pompey. Theatron is currently in receipt of funding
from the EU and AHRB to continue this work. The two departments are also
being considered in the current round of AHRB funding as a Centre of
Excellence.

  http://www.theatron.co.uk/

Anyway, here's the pitch. If you think that this may be of interest to any
of your colegues or students please pass it on.

A taught MA programme has been jointly developed by Prof. David Thomas at
Warwick and Prof Christopher Baugh at Kent. Its focus is the application
and presentation of computer modelling within theatre studies. It aims to
explore applications within both theatre history and within contemporary
scenography and theatre architecture. Students may register with either
university and be resident at either campus. Teaching and learning will be
on line, but workshops and tutorial work will be in person. Please advise
interested students of this and invite them to visit our new web site at:
www.ukc.ac.uk/sdfva/drama/itma/index.htm
or:
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/Theatre_S/itma/index.htm

If you have any comments or querys please feel free to contact me.

Many thanks for your help and attention

Cat
Cat Fergusson

Educational Developer
Accessing and Networking with National and International Expertise (ANNIE)
School of Drama Film & Visual Arts
University of Kent at Canterbury

Tel. 01227 764000 ex. 7176