BRITARCH May 2001

Re: Word/Publisher Conversion

"Nick.Corcos" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 May 2001 20:50:36 +0100

Catherine,

(via Mike??), the replies I've had although very sympathetic have all made
it quite clear that there are others out there who've recognised this
problem - everyone it seems, except Microsoft. It appears that what I want
to do just isn't possible. Pathetic really, but there it is. Sorry I can't
be of any help, but unless Bill Gates suddenly takes a hand in a fit of
remorse, we're rather over a barrel.

All best,

Nick.

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Stallybrass <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 02 May 2001 23:26
Subject: Word/Publisher Conversion

Message text written by British archaeology discussion list
> know that strictly this is *not* one for the list and I apologise in
advance, but there are so many good computer types out there that perhaps
someone can help with my present predicament.

I am trying to convert my PhD dissertation from MS Word
2000 into MS Publisher 98, so that I can more easily integrate,
electronically, all the illustrations which at the moment I am having to
laboriously print out separately and physically insert into the right
places
in the text. I *can* just insert them in a Word document but frankly Word's
handling of graphics is utterly tedious and simply doesn't give the same
flexibility. I have sussed how to import the entire Word file into
Publisher, and it works really well - but there's one *major* problem.
Publisher does *not* seem to recognise Word's footnotes (of which I have
many), and they are completely missing from the Publisher text once it has
converted the file, both the footnotes themselves and the reference numbers
that should be in the body of the text. I wouldn't have thought this is
rocket science, all I want to do is import the Word file lock, stock and
barrel into Publisher, *including* the footnotes.

Any suggestions as to how to make Publisher do this automatically (I have
been shown several ways of doing it manually - thanks Vince!), would be
REALLY gratefully received - replies off list please as I know not everyone
will be interested in this, and apologies again if this should be
considered
misuse of the list. Many thanks,

Nick Corcos
Dept of Archaeology, Uni. of Bristol
<

Please can you send any offlist replies to me too - I've been racking my
brains on this one too!

cheers

Catherine