BRITARCH April 2001

Re: Foot-and-mouth -Reply

"RUSSELL, Nick" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:04:17 +0100

Thanks for the reply Malcom, we do realise that tnhe locations of sites may
be uncertain in many cases, however the NGR gives us a ref. point. I've seen
a few of the sites so have an idea of size. We are recording as an area
centred on their NGR until we know otherwise. In the cases I've seen it will
probably be best to mark whole fields.
Nick
-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Watkins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 April 2001 13:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Foot-and-mouth -Reply

As the fires are burning in the field two away from my house, incinerating
sheep that I ahve untangled from our fence and nearby brambles, I feel a
certain personal involvement in this process. The trench which was dug to
burn our neighbour's stock took several days to excavate using more than one
machine. The animals were slaughtered on Thursday I think, and the burning
began on Tuesday night, by which time the dead animals were an obvious and
unwelcome addition to the normal countryside smells. My point is that the
trench for what I hope is just one farm's stock is very big, and an
eight-figure reference is probably wildly optimistic.
IMHO the locations should be recorded on SMRs or their equivalent, because
they are both positive archaeology (modern) and negative archaeology
(ancient) unless they happen to coincide with some massive early ditch or
river course, or similar.
I also think that archaeologists ought to have been involved in the
observation of the digging, but I doubt whether many others would agree.