news and request for info

Nicholas Kiersey <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:16:08 -0500

Dear Mapping-Cyberspace,

Forgive me if this email is inappropriate. You may remember me, I'm an Irish
student interning in DC. I emailed this list last autumn for some advice
about PhD that might allow a study of the impact of cyberspace on state
identity and borders. As I remember, I got a great response. So I'd like to
bring you up to date on my progress and ask for further advice.

First of all, happily, I have had some success and recently been accepted
into a program at the University of Southern California's School of
International Relations. Importantly, however, it seems the next stage is to
think about funding. I'll need some. I'm wondering if any of you would be
able to
give me any idea of what organizations might be interested in funding such a
project. As far as I know, my application automatically entered me into the
running for some school/departmental awards. And perhaps there is the chance
of teaching. But even if they do give me some money, it won't be enough - so
right now I'm investigating other options (unfortunately I am an Irish
citizen so I am ineligible for a lot of financial relief programs geared
towards US students).

If you any ideas, that would be great.

All the best,

Nicholas Kiersey

Nicholas J. Kiersey, Intern (Governance Team)

National Democratic Institute
1717 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20036

Tel (work): (202) 328-3136 ext. 4312