BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  March 2001

BRITARCH March 2001

Announcing excavations in Portugal

Vítor Oliveira Jorge <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:27:03 +0000

EXCAVATIONS IN THE NORTH OF PORTUGAL
2001

In the Foz Côa area (North of Portugal), research on the Copper and Bronze
Ages began
in 1989 and was centered on the work conducted over ten seasons of
excavation at Castelo Velho (Freixo de Numão) by Susana Oliveira Jorge. In
1998, investigations were extended to another site, similar to Castelo Velho
but larger in surface area. Castanheiro do Vento is located some 11 km to
the west of Castelo Velho and seems to present an equivalent chronology,
spanning the 3rd millennium and probably the first half of the 2nd
millennium
BC. Monumental sites of this kind, located on hilltops and comprising walls,
precincts, platforms, bastions, and other features, were probably the
centers of territories, and in some way replaced in this role the
traditional formal cemeteries (passage grave complexes) characteristic of
the Middle and Late Neolithic in other regions. They were constructed so as
to be seen, and probably functioned as identity markers for the populations
that lived around them.

Next summer, from 1 July until the end of September, we are going to carry
on a new field season in these precious sites.
We accept volunteers. Please see pre-registration forms below.
Access to sites: from Porto (international airport) by train until Freixo de
Numão railway station. There people will be transported until the village,
where accommodation is provided. The better is to arrive on a Sunday
afternoon and leave on a Saturday morning. People from abroad may stay for 2
weeks or even a month, it depends on the quality of the work people do. We
welcome every interested person, mainly experienced ones. PhD or master
students are welcome, as soon as they are really interested. Food (3 hot
meals per day) is provided. Common rooms are free, and transportation to and
from the site is free too. People shall bring a sleeping bag and a
individual camping bottle to maintain the water fresh. Sometimes it is cold,
sometimes rainy (watch your clothes), sometimes very hot, sometimes windy!
Do you want more? This is the region of the famous Porto wine, and also the
region of the famous open air Palaeolithic engravings of Foz Côa -
participants are encourage to visit the International Park nearby.
So, contact us if you are really interested. You will never forget the
place. People are friendly, the landscape is fantastic.
Yours sincerely
Vitor Oliveira Jorge, Professor of Archaeology, University  of Porto
Susana Oliveira Jorge, Professor of Archaeology, University  of Porto

in the worldwide famous area of the Palaeolithic engravings of Foz Côa
(Human Heritage)
ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS OF CASTELO VELHO PREHISTORIC SETTLEMENT (FREIXO
DE NUMÃO, V.ª N.ª FOZ CÔA, PORTUGAL)
2 JULY - 28 SEPTEMBER 2001
Director: Susana Oliveira Jorge, Faculty of Arts, University of Porto
R. Aníbal Cunha, 101-3º Dtº T/F - 4050 Porto - Portugal
Fax: 351-222026903 - Phone 351-222087149 - E-mail: [log in to unmask]
In collaboration with the ACDR of Freixo de Numão - Support from IPA/IPPAR

APPLICATION FORM
Name _____________________________________________________________________
Adress_____________________________________________________________________
City _____________________Area Code _____________
Country____________________
Telephone_________________E-mail_______________________Fax ________________
Academic qualifications_____________________________________________________
Previous experience in archaeological
excavations_____________________________
Motivations to
participate____________________________________________________
Period of participation (1 week minimum) _________/________/01
Lodging and meals are free. Transportation from Porto to Freixo de Numão
(trains - linha do Douro until Freixo de Numão railway station, or buses) is
not covered.
All participants must indicate the date and time of arrival at Freixo de
Numão: ___________________
Work schedule: Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 18:00, 2 h. lunch break. All
participants must arrive on Sunday dinner time (latest), and leave on a
Saturday after breakfast.
Special recomendations: bring appropriate clothing for hot, cold or rainy
weather.
Every participant must have a personal water bottle to bring to the
excavation area.
Contact in Freixo de Numão: ACDR de Freixo de Numão (responsible: António Sá
Coixão): phone/fax: 351- 279 789573.
DECLARATION
In case my application is selected, I hereby assume that I will be present
at the excavation, unless any major impediment occurs, of which I will let
the director know by mail/fax at least one month before of the beginning of
the excavation.
Signature _________________________________________________________________
Date _______/_________/01

in the worldwide famous area of the Palaeolithic engravings of Foz Côa
(Human Heritage)
ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS OF CASTANHEIRO DO VENTO PREHISTORIC SETTLEMENT
(HORTA DO DOURO, V.ª N.ª FOZ CÔA, PORTUGAL)
16 -3 AUGUST 2001
Directors: Vítor Oliveira Jorge, Faculty of Arts, University of Porto;
António Sá Coixão (ACDR de Freixo de Numão); João Muralha ( City Museum,
Lisbon); Leonor Pereira (IPA, Vª Conde). Please answer to the adress: R.
[...]

participants must arrive arrive on Sunday dinner time (latest), and leave on