Help for FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  2001

FORCED-MIGRATION 2001

Call for Papers: Theories of Humanitarianism

Elisa Mason <[log in to unmask]>

Elisa Mason <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:45:17 -0700

(For more info., please contact Kurt Mills

Apologies for cross-posting...

Over the last decade the incidence of international
humanitarian action has increased dramatically. State
actors, international governmental organizations, and
NGOs have all gotten into the humanitarian game. While
much has been written on this issue, we still have an
incomplete understanding of why humanitarianism has
become so widespread and its ultimate global
consequences. We talk about the CNN Effect, security
interests, the erosion of sovereignty, and a plethora
of other ideas and partial theories. For the next
annual meeting of the International Studies
Association, taking place in New Orleans on March
23-27, 2002, I will be putting together two panels
which will examine this issue. I hope to assemble a
series of papers that will go beyond superficial
analysis to uncover the deep causes and consequences
of global humanitarianism. I am interested in papers
that look at whether or not traditional theories of
international relations can account for these
developments. I am also particularly interested in the
application of nontraditional/critical theories to
this issue. In keeping with the overall theme of the
ISA convention, "Dissolving Boundaries: The Nexus
Between Comparative Politics and International
Relations", analyses that incorporate both comparative
and international perspectives would be welcome.

If you are interested in submitting a paper, please
send me the following by May 15 (sooner is better):

Name
Address
Phone
Fax
E-mail
Title of Paper
150 Word Abstract

If you are interested in serving as a discussant on
one of the panels, please indicate that as well.

ISA has a small number of travel grants available (up
to around $700), particularly for overseas
participants, especially in countries with currency
conversion problems. If you intend to apply
(deadline in September), or if your participation
would be contingent upon receiving a grant, please
indicate this also. Also, indicate whether or not you
are a graduate student (this will not affect your
chances of being put on a panel).

Kurt Mills

__________

Kurt Mills, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Five College Program in Peace and World Security
Studies
Hampshire College
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 559-5367 (tel.)
(413) 559-5611 (fax)

Note: The material contained in this communication
comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List
which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre
(RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily
reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you
re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please
retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should
include attribution to the original sources.

List archives are available at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/forced-migration.html.