Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A Terrible Act of Evil (SIC)

Sukhbir Garewal <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Sep 2001 05:35:32 +0100

text/plain

I on the other hand agree with Gregory Flaxman.

The loss of even a single life in any form of violence is reprehensible.
This is what Jean-Paul Sartre had said in defence of Tarkovsky's "Ivan's
Childhood" when articles attacking Andrei's individualism had started
appearing in the Italian l'Unita after the film won the Golden Lion at the
Venice Film Festival...

Apparently tens of thousands are reported to have been wiped out in a coldly
calculated televisual move in the recent t-aero-drives. The act is indeed
saddening - it hits at the very basis of celebrative, creative idea of
coexistence. Coexistence not as a form of civilized tolerance but as a
necessary mode of embeddings. That is, a part of me exists in you just as a
part of you exists in me. Quite selfishly, as per Hindu tenets, what is
saddening for me in the act of death is that I have seen myself dying. In
witnessing the death of a part of me, I have died. I mourn my own loss, my
own disappearance...

But since the visual has got stuck - I have been forced into a single image
memory - I have been desensitized and I see myself waking up into a stream
of different rhetoric - equally intolerant, jingoistic, no longer respectful
of the absolute inviolability of the other. That is indeed frightening. We
are into a confrontation where one 'single-image memory' is out to
annihilate another 'single-image memory'. I look at turbans, long beards,
guttural sounds with suspicion. The exigencies and the magnitude of the
situation is such, I postpone all attempts at self-criticism. The 'reality
principle' so completely overwhelms me that it becomes indistinguishable
from the 'pleasure principle' where the filters of 'repressed' no longer
seem to function nor are considered desirable for the moment.

People have been subjected to unending chain of terrorist attacks - both
group and state-sponsored ones (and the US, to put it ever so mildly, has
consistently turned a blind eye). For decades together they have suffered.
May a 2-year old (or ever younger than that) has been put to death. And yet
there hasn't been a whisper. And today, we witness a ghastly carnage of a
multi-lingual, multi-cultural people (going by a rough estimate put up by
news channels in India, nearly 20% of the people inside the twin towers were
Indians - all Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs and Christians. There were, I am sure,
Chinese, Jews, Arabs - people of all cultural persuasions.)What was there
fault - is a valid emotional question and should never ever be forgotten.
But equally valid is the question - Who is/are at fault? Even if we wish to
forget it, the question will not go away.

Sukhbir Garewal