Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: DDS "DAT" drive recommendations

John Ward <[log in to unmask]>

NeXT users discussion list: hardware,[NEXT|OPEN|GNU]STEP, Darwin/Mac OS X,WebObjects" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:09:23 GMT

text/plain

Chris,
Thanks for your comments on the critical subject of backups. I don't think
what you say is correct. You imply that software wears out.
It does not. But hardware like tape drives does. Multi platform support does
not stop this.
So the mistake would be to trust the hardware not the software. Those old
backup tapes in perfect condition are of no use without a drive to read them
on.
If software does what you want, support is irrelevant.

We do backups using both gnutar and DLT drive and SafetyNet and DAT drive. For
sheer convenience and speed at recovery the latter beats the former hands
down.

But all of this does raise the question of what we use for backups that we
could use in 10 years time. Tape, CD or old-fashioned paper.

John