Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: (no subject)

"david.bircumshaw" <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:32:14 -0000

text/plain

> He and David had a
> well-tempered exchange this evening, despite often being at loggerheads
> recently, and however sharp or harsh I've found quite a few of David's
posts
> to be, with a much rougher tone and tenor than is usual for him, it never
> occurred to me to challenge his presence on the list or suggest that he
vote
> with his feet if he didn't like the fact that there's a large American
> presence on it, say. Same with Lawrence, who doesn't exactly mince his
> words!

If there was a rough tone in my latter posts it was down to the unholy
lateness of the hour, Candice. Like I almost everyone else, I too didn't
notice the 'towers of evil' post either, but it wasn't so much Fred's anger
at that I was taking issue with, nor do I object to the presence of
Americans on this list.

What did concern me was Fred's endorsement of some odd elements in Dominic's
post. I've read that latter about five times now, and it seems to me that it
is (whether consciously or not) perpetuating one of the hoariest
conservative myths of all: that people are naturally evil and therefore need
to be curbed, by the force of law and the force of 'hard-edged' economic
realities.
That telling word 'determinism' was lodged in Dom's post.

Now I have a simple take on these (this, you know, is one of the reasons
poets need to be 'stupid'). People are neither intrinsically good nor evil,
they are equally capable of either potentiality, just as the fabric of
reality itself is not a hard-edged structure but a quantum flux of perpetual
possibilities. After the wave has been collapsed, then the Myth of
Inevitability can impersonate reality, but the not-yet is always brimming
with alternates, other births, as it were, that can dissolve these stone
superstructures.

One only has to have a little experience of work at the bottom of these
structures to know that below the supposed hard truths of power and
economics the reality is continual chaos. Economies, societies, work in
_spite_ of the Fables of Necessity preached by the Financial Friars, not
_because_ of them.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw