POETRYETC 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: filter coffee anyone?

"Wystan Curnow (FOA ENG)" <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:18:01 +1300

text/plain

Dear David,
       I'm with you re-free space of both heart and mind and poetry's job
there.  But the space you describe as 'free' seems itself cluttered and
'managed' and commercial;  the space in short of the farting, swearing
non-white, non-bourgeois, non-male is now the space in large of
entertainment, of that is fiction, rock n'roll, film and tv, or rather this
is entertainment's idea of free or dangerous space, its straw woman. This
used to be the free space of poetry; how it has become a necessary part of
the culture as now managed is maybe an old story, but we need to keep up
with the latest versions of it. Poetry's freedom is exercised through
re-writing  the culture of which it is a part so that it can't or won't
recognise itself. That's awkwardly said but whatdo you say?
            Wystan