Re: Are WOS enhancements dead?

Ross MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:43:30 -0000

Brian,

Every enhancement request is formally logged by MIMAS. This includes those
submitted via the helpdesk email, but also other routes, such as on the
feedback sheets collected after training sessions and from telephone
enquiries.
They are then collated in advance of each WoSEC meeting and a joint report
is tabled by MIMAS and JIBS User Group - which includes the ISI WoS Service
for UK Education in its scope. The report classifies and lists the
enhancements requested in frequency order.
The most frequest class of enhancement at the March 2000 meeting was in the
area of 'Marking & Submitting', which led directly to ISI including the
'Mark All', 'Mark Page' etc changes in version 4.3. This will go live on
the MIMAS server in April 2001, as already announced to this list. A fuller
announcement will be made next week concerning training sessions and
revised documentation, currently being prepared in conjunction with ISI,
JIBS and our colleagues in the John Rylands University Library.

The latest WoSEC meeting took place on Monday 6th March and JISC will put
the minutes and report on their web site shortly. The report covered 1st
September 2000-31st January 2001.

Please do suggest specific changes, many of the text modifications included
in the 33 user-requested changes in v4.3 were from suggestions submitted.

I apologise if we've still got a reference to the mailbase list - but I
can't see it immediately on our web site, can you let me know and I'll get
it updated, please?
For info, the FAQ contains:
"How do we request enhancements?"
"By submitting enhancements and suggestions to the Web of Science support
team a list of compiled replies can be sent to the WoSEC (Web of Science
Enhancement Committee).
On the WoSEC are ISI, JIBS, MIMAS and JISC. It was created under the terms
of agreement and is an approved method by which the UK user community can
affect the development of the product.
Minutes of the meetings of the WoSEC at:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/curriss/collab/#c11
MIMAS does not have any funding for development in-house."

Regards,
Ross MacIntyre                     tel:+44(0)161-275-7181
Senior Project Manager        fax:+44(0)161-275-6040
Manchester Computing         mobile:0778-095-6424
University of Manchester      email:[log in to unmask]
Oxford Road                         http://www.mcc.ac.uk/
Manchester M13 9PL   U.K.