Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Bambi vs ecosystems

sylvia <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:43:58 -0700

text/plain

Chris, Jim and Ray - thank you for your expansion on the representation of
_Bambi_.  The discussion certainly helped me put some comments on this list
into perspective; the Lutts article was very interesting.  I suppose I never
took Bambi the movie that seriously (having only seen it once) & thought it
to be a typical Disney story & allegory on "lessons in life".  Also, being
raised without television by hippies-turned-semi-yuppies, believe it or not
I still catch myself scoffing at the idea that we are so vastly affected by
tv and image - even though I do know this to be true - at least, wherever
discriminatory skills aren't taught.

In any case, having familiarity with both the hard sciences + agriculture as
well as with the humanities/arts through academia, I've been pounded over
the head with the "evils" of anthropmorphism and the "necessity" of killing
(which requires therefore "dehumanising") animals for food and experiments;
and I've also been heavily exposed to the other side of the coin, the
'idealists' who, for example, mobilised world support for banning seal culls
through the use of cute images.  The extreme fervour of either side never
fails to intrigue me.  I don't find it that hard to empathise with both
sides, mainly because of the slippery slope that becomes apparent on
releasing either stance/ belief, in the real world.

It seems to me that maybe one way between those two rocks, as Ray & others
have indicated, incorporates "respect" - as is illustrated for example by
the customs and rituals that many traditional societies (and respectful
people today) use/d to pay homage to the kill and harvest, thereby both
consciously and subconsciously acknowledging & reinforcing the holism of the
ecosystem.  Yet how much 'respect' can exist at the abbatoir or in the
artificial/ introduced environments where populations are controlled by
humans is as usual a whole other kettle of fish.

Thanks again for the clarification as well as education.

best, sylvia