JiscMail Logo

Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  2001

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Ma said 'be nice'.

Dr Paul Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:32:35 +0000

text/plain

I agree Alasdair. One problem I perceive is that these kinds of debates the
world over happen at a cerebral level and I want to bring it down to earth
- to where people are living out their lives. I want to explain why this
ordinary human activity explains the use of the explanatory model of a
complex adaptive system.

The "process stuff" could be interpreted as being nice, using specific
models of teambuilding and having a warm room to meaningfully have quality
time together.  Up to a point I would also say this. However to get at the
heart of what this means I prefer so say that what is going on is that
everyone is struggling to develop the "narrative identity" of their own
unique lives (after Alasdair MacIntyre). We are all the lead actors in the
feature film that is my lfe and the support actor in the feature films of
many others. In the interactions I have everyday with others (and with
myself) I develop this film as I develop my identity and culture.  For this
reason I think that Karl Weick is a seminal thinker about complexity, even
though he does not use the word. He talks about "sensemaking".

A complex adaptive system therefore is the appearance that all of this
interactivity takes as each reacts to, and adapts with, others (Stacey
describes "complex responsive processes"). The fractal is that repeatable
pattern in all of this that is to be seen in impossible to reach places (as
in the square root of a negative number oir the swirl of water going down a
plug hole).  We know it is there but can't touch it without altering it.
The fractal might be that point in the present where my past and future
make sense to me and also to "the whole" emerging story - the fractal is
meaning, or love? Plot that on a bar graph!

Happy Christmas.

Paul