Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Bingham, Talus, the Flail

Thomas Herron <[log in to unmask]>

Edmund Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:18:59 -0600

text/plain

Apologies for going on and on here in public, but I managed to check the
books last night, and can offer limited clarification of a thing or two re
Talus, cannonades, and flails.

First, I made a mistake; Niall Fallon's book, entitled *The Armada in
Ireland* (1978), does not have a portrait of Bingham differing from the one
in Highley; they print the same one, which I presume is the NPG one.
Fallon does have an interesting portrait of Lord Deputy William
Fitzwilliam, however, who had just come into office when the Armada hit the
shores.  As to Bingham's bloodiness, Fitzwilliam was slightly worse in this
instance; Bingham wanted at least to spare the Dutch cabin boys among the
Armada survivors, but Fitzwilliam ordered their execution, too, along with
any Spanish (and sympathizers) caught, which were in the hundreds.

2)  Re AZ's comment, below, Highley (in *Shakespeare, Spenser, and the
Crisis in Ireland*, 117-8) also discusses the appropriateness of Bingham as
a legal model for Talus, in that Bingham was known for his unmoving
severity in prosecuting laws and going beyond the ineffectual law where
necessary. He and Grey are lauded by name for the same in Richard Beacon's
*Solon His Follie* (1594).  Highley also is at pains to stress the
looseness of the allegory surrounding Talus, noting that it could apply to
Bingham's methods as well as the man himself.  I apologize to Highley for
casually narrowing his critical focus, and agree with his attitude; I also
feel, however, that more "factual" allegories remain to be found in the FQ.

Having said that, Highley has a few minor factual errors.  First, he states
that Bingham, as related in Hooker (in Holinshed VI.437), launched a naval
bombardment from sea on Smerwick Fort.  This is not true.  Hooker states
Bingham arrived with Admiral Winter (cf. Sp.'s Terwin?) to provide "all
things necessarie" to assault the fort by land.  But he notes only that
Winter bombarded the fort from the sea.

Richard Bagwell, in *Ireland Under the Tudors* III.70-1, which relies
heavily on the CSPI, including Bingham's own correspondence, states that
Winter brought heavy artillery by sea (this would fit with
Talus-as-Artillery wading ashore to fight Grantorto).  Bingham oversaw the
initial placement of artillery on the battlements aiming at the fort,
before heavier artillery arrived from the sea (I am unclear as to what ship
exactly Bingham arrived on, and when).

Highley also discusses possible echoes (found by Renwick) of Bingham's
military stretegies in the *View*, and vice-versa.

Bingham also cuts a romantic figure in that he purportedly fought with the
Spanish against the Turk at Lepanto (DNB; Bagwell).  Somebody should write
a biography of him.

3)  The Flail.  Highley (120 and endnote) notes Fallon as his source for
the "Flail of Connaught" comment, but Fallon gives no source for it that I
could find.  Though he is a careful scholar, Fallon does slightly overdo
the anti-English rhetoric of the episode, and so he may have gladly used
Bingham's sobriquet for dramatic effect, at the expense of contemporary
relevance.  [Highley cites Fallon p. 243, a page that doesn't exist;
rather, I found the Flail of Connaught reference in the accompanying note
to the portrait on p. 33.  Fallon also entitles one of his chapters "The
Flail of Connaught."]

To quibble with Anne Prescott, she notes that Aptekar, in *Icons of
Justice*, has Jove holding a flail in one image; to me, this looks like
thunderbolts; rather, Mars (performing Jove's will) holds a jointed flail
in another plate.  But my iconographic knowledge is weak and I may be
missing something.

4)  Finally, in response to AZ below, I would state that Herbert's
*Croftus* is only slightly more sympathetic to peaceful reform in Ireland,
including the idea that conversion of the Catholics should take place in
their native tongue, Irish; but it must occur nonetheless.  Does the book
forego military solutions altogether?  Having a "softer heart" than Sp or
Bingham isn't saying much.  --Tom H