Today, 28 December, is the feast of ...
* The Holy Innocents
- much debate has taken place on the probable number of
babies slaughtered by order of Herod, after the birth of
Jesus; estimates have ranged from c. 6 to c. 144,000!
- this feast was known in England as Childermas
* Theodore the Sanctified, abbot (368)
- a disciple and successor of St Pachomius, one of his
miracles involved one of the earliest recorded uses of
blessed water as a sacramental for healing
* Antony of Lerins (c. 520)
- a native of Lower Pannonia, he became a monk in the area
of Lake Como, where his fame caused him to flee across the
Alps to Lerins
University of Leicester