The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  October 2000

DISABILITY-RESEARCH October 2000

Sport Events

Han Tacoma <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:08:40 -0400

Hello All:

The threads regarding the "Olympics", "Paralympics",
"Special Olympics", etc. were most stimulating and
educational for me. I am a layperson without academic
credentials (...other than Computer Science.)
Much of the threads dealt with, IMO, semantics and side
issues which confused and educated me.

The accident that rendered me paraplegic ocurred when
I was 47 years old. Prior to that I engaged in many
sports -- car racing, motorcycles, hang-gliding, and
many more activities that on more than on occasion
should/could have placed me in the same situation as
opposed to falling from a simple tree.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:59:06 +1000 Laurence Bathurst
wrote on the subject:
RE: paralympic as a "medical model"/wheelchair racing as an Paralympics et al
and asked:
> Just one more thing. In wheelchair basketball, the game relies on the
> assessment of levels of functional ability.  I would guess that there must
> be some point at which a person may be declared too functionally able to
> compete in a wheelchair?

I cannot aswer if a person may be declared too functional to
compete in a wheelchair.

My current area of sports (after 23 years) is sailing and YES,
there are rules that apply in this area. In fact as I write this
I am not sure the "new" ones have been finalized yet.

Last year I competed in the "Bell Mobility Cup", we had contenders
from Portugal, Bahamas, Australia, USA and of course Canada,
(although not important, I placed 45 of 64) it was a fantastic
event. We sailed a "Martin 16" and got my wife (who was a
"transfer volunteer" from not willing to take on 6" seas before
the competition to be a sharing companion to take on the same
seas after the competition -- my price :-)

The draft (and I'll spare you the 28 pages) has an introduction:

> [...]
>
> Purpose
>
> An efficient classification system must:
> - Enable fair and equitable competition, at all levels, for mildly, moderately and severely
>   disabled sailors.
> - Encourage crews of mixed disability, from mild to severe, to compete and complement
>   each other.
> - Not be affected by the sailing skills, training or talent of the participant
> - Only measure functional limitations caused by physical disability
> - Be as simple as possible so that it can be used in a consistent way in every participating
>   country
> - Allow sailors and those people without medical expertise to make a reasonably accurate
>   estimate of a sailor's classification.
>
> Sailing functions
>
> In this context, the main functions of sailing have been identified as:
> - Compensation for the movement of the boat. (Stability)
> - Operating the control lines and the tiller (Hand function)
> - Ability to move about in the boat (Mobility)
> - Ability to see whilst racing (Vision)
>
> These functions have been further refined to test A. Tiller, B. Sheeting, C. Cleating, D.
> Transferring, E. Hiking.
>
> Functional classes
>
> The following functional classes have been identified as the framework for this Classification
> System:
> - Stability
> - Hand function
> - Mobility
> - Vision
>
> Ranking of functional limitations
>
> From the observation of top sailors, it has been possible to identify the degree to which
> different functional limitations affect the ability to undertake the functions of sailing. For
> example, the partial loss of the use of a foot is regarded as less functionally disabling in sailing
> than it might be in other sports.
>
> In the previous system, if a sailor had several functional limitations, it was the one that scored
> the least points which counted.
> In the Functional Classification 2000 consideration of several measurable abilities and
> disabilities will be taken into account
>

> Maximum and Minimum Total Points per Crew ( ˘Crew÷ is the three sailors racing
> the boat).
>
> A maximum total points per crew is set so that a crew cannot have too many sailors with a
> mild disability. If a crew chooses to compete with three severely disabled sailors (which would
> not be desirable for safety reasons), they are not given any sporting advantage over a less
> disabled crew whose total points is within the limit. The limit is set to encourage a mix of
> disabilities.  See 1.3 for details
>

> Minimum level of disability for an individual
>
> When a sailor has minimal disability they may be considered to have normal ability for sailing
> and will not rate under the Functional Classification 2000. They are not allowed to compete in
> ISAF/IFDS Disabled Sailing Events.  See 1.2

If you would like the full draft document please email me
off-line so as not to congest the list.

This applies to a type of craft -- the Sonar where three (3)
people crew it. I have not have occasion to try it yet.

Other craft are "Hobby Cats" and transferability is of course
an issue, however is solved by a "trap seat" and you don't
do all the maneouvers one would be capable of.

Specifically for the Sydney Paralimpics (as related to sailing)
I have the following:

Cheers!
--
Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~