FW: RECENT WORK IN ARCHAEOLOGICAL GEOPHYSICS

Mike Heyworth <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:34:38 +0100

From: Paul Linford [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 October 2000 10:29

Dear BritArch List Owners

Please send my apologies to all list members for sending a large (or any)
attachment with my message concerning the above on Friday. This was an
oversight on my part - I do know how frustrating it can be to download such
messages over a modem connection.

I am no longer a member of BritArch, so I would be grateful if you would
forward this message.

Regards,

Paul Linford

This e-mail is intended solely for the above-mentioned recipient
and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify us immediately and delete
the e-mail. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any
action in reliance on it.

English Heritage
Telephone 020 7973 3000
Facsimile 020 7973 3001

the attachment went as follows:

RECENT WORK IN ARCHAEOLOGICAL GEOPHYSICS

TONY CLARK MEMORIAL MEETING

GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

BURLINGTON HOUSE, LONDON, 7TH DECEMBER 2000

Provisional Lecture programme

0930-1000	Registration and Coffee

	Introduction. Andrew David

	The geoacoustic characteristics of archaeological wood. Justin Dix,
S Arnott,, C Moody, A I Best and D Gregory, University of Southampton.

	The archaeological investigation of a medieval battlefield using
geophysical survey instruments. Tim Sutherland, University of Bradford

	Spatial analysis of magnetic susceptibility surveys. Armin Schmidt,
University of Bradford

	Coffee

	Archaeological geophysical assessment of industrial archaeology
sites: a case study from Keighley, W Yorkshire. Ken Hamilton and Armin
Schmidt, University of Bradford

	Mapping and dating iron-working sites - case studies from
prehistoric and medieval Wales. Peter Crew, Bruce Bevan and Tatyana
Smekalova, Plas Tan Y Bwlch., Snowdonia National Park Study Centre.

	Magnetic prospection of the largest Early Iron Age settlement on
Roseldorf, Austria. Wolfgang Neubauer, Peter Melichar, Alois
Eder-Hinterleitner, Vienna Institute for Archaeological Science.

1300-1400	Lunch

	Geophysical reconnaissance survey at a North American Industrial
Site: a case study. Ian Bishop, Golder Associates (UK) Ltd.

	Ground Penetrating Radar Sequence Stratigraphy, Alastair Ruffell,
Brian Whalley and Alan Robertson, Queens University, Belfast.

	Chris Pierce [to be confirmed]

	GPR Surveys of Roman buildings. Alois Eder-Hinterleitner, Sirri
Seren, Wolfgang Neubauer and Peter Melichar. Vienna Institute for
Archaeological Science

	Tea

	Magnetometry of a palace of Qin Shihuang, the first emperor of China
(247-210BC). Joerg Fassbinder, Bavarian State Conservation Office.

	Resistivity survey of Capo Long Barrow, Aberdeenshire. Lindsey
Collier, Bruce Hobbs, Tim Neighbour and Richard Strachan.

When is a barrow not a barrow? Adrian Challands.

	Time Team geophysics in 2000: a story of two mounds. John  Gater,
Chris Gaffney and Sue Ovenden-Wilson, GSB Prospection.

1800		Close

Poster displays

Mapping and dating of iron-working sites on Exmoor. Ross Dean, Gill Juleff,
John Hodgson and Robert Maxwell.

Geophysical surveying in East Anglia. Peter Cott.

Six Roman Sites in South Wales, Stratascan Ltd

Current research into 2D wavenumber processing of archaeological data,
ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.

Sam Dodds (Aperio Ltd.) [unconfirmed: Avebury Cove of Westminster Abbey)

Magnetic prospection of the Middle Neolithic circular ditch systems
Pranhartsberg I and II, Austria. Wolfgang Neubauer, Alois
Eder-Hinterleitner, Peter Melichar and Michael Doneus. Vienna Institute of
Archaeological Science.

Geophysical investigations at Butrint, southern Albania. Neil Chroston, Mark
Hounslow and David Bescoby, University of East Anglia. [unconfirmed]

Remote detection of burials using laser spectroscopy. Alastair Ruffell & Co.
[unconfirmed]

Geophysical evaluation of lead and copper working sites. Rob Vernon, Gerry
McDonnell and Armin Schmidt, University of Bradford.

Commercial geophysical equipment and software suppliers have also been
invited to
provide stands.
THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO ALL. THERE IS AN ENTRANCE FEE OF 15, PAYABLE ON
ARRIVAL. HOWEVER, ENTRANCE IS FREE TO MEMBERS OF THE GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY AND
IS 5.00 FOR NON-MEMBERS WHO ARE STUDENTS. TEA AND COFFEE WILL BE AVAILABLE
BUT LUNCH IS PROVIDED FOR SPEAKERS ONLY.

PROFITS FROM THE MEETING WILL BE DONATED TO THE TONY CLARK MEMORIAL FUND FOR
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SCIENCE.

The Geological Society Rooms are in Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1.
The nearest Tube stations are Piccadilly Circus and Green Park. Entrance to
the meeting will be through the main door that opens directly on to
Piccadilly (next to the Alliance & Leicester). If you arrive late and this
door is closed, please use the intercom at the door to the side of the
premises (first on the right under the arch into the Burlington House
quadrangle).

Any queries to: Dr Andrew David, English Heritage Centre for Archaeology,
Fort Cumberland, Eastney, Portsmouth PO4 9LD; tel.: 02392 856764, email: