Help for ACAD-AE-MED Archives

ACAD-AE-MED Archives

ACAD-AE-MED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACAD-AE-MED Home

ACAD-AE-MED  September 2000

ACAD-AE-MED September 2000

Intraosseous aspirate/ (digital) photography / list content

Howard Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:17:06 +0100

Isn't Cliff simply saying he needed IO access (because IV access failed),
to give the drugs for the RSI? I am sure the airway, oxygenation and
ventilation was being managed satisfactorily in the work-up to the
definitive placement of an ETT. The problem he encountered was that
standard teaching (ie marrow aspirate can be used satisfactorily for
cross-match) was not supported by essential service providers. When the
faeces is striking the impeller, the last thing you need is someone letting
you down for no valid reason. Or was the standard teaching invalid? I don't
know the answer. Does anyone else? Are these any haematologists lurking on
this list?

Increasing numbers of people are using cameras to take photographs for
clinical, teaching and medicolegal purposes. Just a few points: does anyone
get consent from the patient, if so what do they consent to, and what if
the patient is dead? Have you concocted your own consent form or did you
ask the hospital lawyer to help? What measures do you take to safeguard the
security of the data, as necessitated under the data protection act? Has
anyone ever encountered digital photos getting into the wrong hands?
Digital photos can be altered with considerable ease - what implication
does that have on their validity medicolegally as part of the clinical
record?

On the topic of list content, I think the speciality is small enough that
informality and occasionally frivolity on the mailing list is healthy,
provided we maintain the key objectives - generating academic debate around
key issues within our speciality. I think we pitch it very well. I don't
have a problem with the odd personal addendum.

Howard Simpson. Basingstoke

(PS Cliff, how are you old mate? You must come over for a beer)